PDA

View Full Version : What do you think???

crusing52
01/25/2008, 12:03 PM
Hello,
I read this forum just about everyday.;) I've gotten a lot of great ideas for my tank upgrade. I'm upgrading to a 72 gallon bow front. I can’t wait to get out of the 55 gallon. Far cry from most of the tanks on this website....... It's been kind of a slow progress. Anyway I'm getting ready to buy some power heads. I've been looking at the Korrilas. (sp)I was looking for some opinions on whether I should buy the #2 or #3. I still need to wire in some outlets. I would like to get the power heads first. So I can find the best place for the outlets. I have another question regarding substrates. I used play sand on the 55 gallon. It seems to have been a mistake. I didn't know what I was doing then. The play sand has metal in it. So need to get new substrate. I keep reading people using play sand. I just need some reassurance that play sand isn't going to be a problem. I don't want to rip this tank down in a year to replace the sand. I found some Caribbean play sand. I was told to check it with a magnet and pour some vinegar on it. If the vinegar bubbles it is good to use in tank.

What do you think?????:cool:

ps when I get a little more done I'll post some picks of the setup. It's just been a slow progress. I don't want to bore you guys

Fish_wiz2
01/25/2008, 12:17 PM
Just buy 2x3's for flow (the more the better) and buy argonite sand from the pet store (you have to spend more but don't have to worry about anything but maybe just cleaning).

IslandCrow
01/25/2008, 12:23 PM
I like the Koralia pumps, but get bigger than what you think you need. The water flow is really diffuse, so although you're getting the advertised flow, you're not getting the velocity you'd expect with something like a Maxijet. I'd go with 3s, maybe even 4s. I have a 2 in my 46g, and the only reason it's enough is because I'm also pushing 600gph+ through my closed loop.

As for the substrate, I used silica based play sand in my refugium without problems, but it was only set up about 4-5 months. I didn't realize some of them have metal in them. I don't think that's the norm. The vinegar thing will tell you if it's calcium based (versus silica based). I've yet to see any proof that one is better than the other. Good luck finding calcium based play sand anyway. If you want to be safe, just spend the extra money on dry sand packaged for aquariums. I hate to suggest it, since this sand is horribly overpriced, but I'd hate to suggest play sand to you and have it turn out there's something nasty in it. If I were setting up your tank, I'd probably just suck it up and get the aquarium sand.

crusing52
01/25/2008, 12:37 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11685381#post11685381 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by IslandCrow
I like the Koralia pumps, but get bigger than what you think you need. The water flow is really diffuse, so although you're getting the advertised flow, you're not getting the velocity you'd expect with something like a Maxijet.

Thanks. I've heard there nice. I'll probably order the 3's. I have my return pump from the sump helping with the flow. What do you have for sand?

IslandCrow
01/26/2008, 03:00 AM
I originally had fairly coarse grain sand, but when I moved my tank, I replaced it with sugar-sized sand, and even though the sand was brand new, I really didn't have any significant problems with it blowing around. Certainly nothing a little repositioning couldn't fix. I think you'll be just fine with the 3s.

Chef Reef
01/26/2008, 03:20 AM
get either 3's or 4's. i have 3's in my 30 gal tank. i had 2's but they just wernt strong enough becuse of the velocity reason above. for your tank i would get the 4's but thats just my opinion.