PDA

View Full Version : Pencil Wrasse

fullmeal88
01/26/2008, 01:38 PM
Hey I just "reserved" a pencil wrasse at my LFS and I was a little curious about ppl experiences with this fish. What did you think of it? What do you know about it?

Fischer's Angel
01/26/2008, 08:38 PM
I kept the Hawaiian version P.cerasinus, it is a great fish! Stays relatively small for a wrasse, eats readily, not particularly aggressive towards other fish with maybe the exception of other similarly shaped wrasses.
Keep him/her well fed with meaty foods like shrimp,mussels and such and he should live a long time.
Mine did not bother ornamental crustaceans in my tank, but as with any wrasse, keep an eye on them as you never know when one may decide to sample a new menu item - almost all wrasses except fairy,flasher and leopard wrasses enjoy a good shrimp dinner every now and then.
Good luck to you with your new addition!:)

fullmeal88
01/27/2008, 02:28 AM
Thank you!

Hormigaquatica
01/27/2008, 03:14 AM
I have to say that the experience Fischer's Angel had with his pencil wrasse is an unusual one. Ive handled a fair number of them, and have Never seen an individual survive more than a few months in captivity. They handle the stress of moving/acclimating very poorly, and often times flat out refuse to feed in captivity. I should note that this is based on experience with: Pseudojuloides severnsi, P. cerasinus, and P. mesostigma. I cant speak for any other species, but suspect they would be similar.

They are quite peaceful- though males will fight with one another. A male can easily be kept with females. Ive never seen one harass another species- they tend to just keep to themselves. They are also stellar jumpers; make sure your lid is very well sealed.

fullmeal88
01/28/2008, 02:34 AM
Mine acclimated greatly, and is eating like a pig! Very active and has an interesting personality! U sure we r talking about the same fish?