PDA

View Full Version : help missing clown!?

jubjub
01/26/2008, 10:52 PM
while gone for dinner my g/f and i came back to find one of our clowns missing....one is swimming around just fine....the other absolutely is MIA cant find him anywhere....not even a body anywhere. we looked very throughly with a flashlight and nothing.... it was totally dark when we left do they hide in the rock to sleep? any idea's...i looked in the fuge, carpet everything

do they hide in the rocks????

benjabba
01/26/2008, 11:00 PM
Did you check your overflow?

jubjub
01/26/2008, 11:03 PM
yup checked the overflow

macronut
01/26/2008, 11:36 PM
did you check your sump? It's possible it could be hiding in a small crevice of a rock somewhere.

atrain5851
01/26/2008, 11:42 PM
i had one of my clown fish disappear on me couldnt find a body or anything anywhere... this was like 3 months back... i moved the tank moved all the rocks everything... but nothing no body, scales nothing ... still have yet to figure out what happened

macronut
01/26/2008, 11:50 PM
you might look for a predatory worm after dark. Not a bristle worm. I think the one I'm thinking of begins with a E....like Eunice or something like that....sorry I can't think of the correct name or spelling.

jubjub
01/27/2008, 12:07 AM
i know there isnt any worms large enough to eat a clown before i put the rock in which was sitting in a vat for a while i inspected everything very carefully........i'm hoping he's just hiding and will come out in the morning....im kinda hoping so.....he was a misbar to....ugh...

i think your thinking of a euclid i think it is

macronut
01/27/2008, 12:17 AM
yes, that is the one. I hope you find the clown. I bet he's in a rock somewhere. He'll be out swimming some in the morning and will surprise you.

jubjub
01/27/2008, 12:18 AM
god i hope he comes out in the morning.....its gonna be one big sigh of relief if he does.....imma miss the misbar if he doesnt

derick2724
01/27/2008, 12:25 AM
man you're not the only that went through this, I added my clown for a week in my aunt's tank then the next week came up there it was mysteriously disappear when nobody did or touch the tank and the tank was in wall with absolutely no place to jump. :(

jubjub
01/27/2008, 10:45 AM
ugh anatic's just came on about 25mins ago......still no show....any chance the MH's will make him want to come out? even put some food in the tank......

new2scene
01/27/2008, 11:13 AM
A gorilla crab ate my Anthia. Had it for only 2 days and it just disappeared! I started pulling out the rocks and there he was. Hairy little bugger!

D-Rod
01/27/2008, 11:17 AM
I has a clown jump once and he flipped and flopped under a chair about 10 ft from the tank...so look everywhere.

BTW...do you have any pets that could have ate it.

Aquarist007
01/27/2008, 11:23 AM
Check behind your powerheads--esp if you have them high up in the corners of the tank---mine will hid there

jubjub
01/27/2008, 11:36 AM
i dont have any gorilla crabs i know that just a very small emerald crab, tank is pretty new and checked the rock throughly i have the tank on a wall with nothing else so we looked everywhere.....and as far as powerheads i have some of the koralia's not really much behind them you can hide......

chris31
01/27/2008, 12:24 PM
try checking around the room fish even that size can jump pretty far out of the tank i had a small goby that jump out and was 5ft away from the tank and under a couch when we found him i dont want to give you negative thoughts just trying to help you out hope you find him!

SquidHC
01/27/2008, 12:32 PM
I just moved to a new house and when I moved my stand I found a dried out, perfectly preserved clown fish on the carpet under it. I always wondered where that guy went.

jubjub
01/27/2008, 12:41 PM
i took a picture from up on my stairs sicne i just moved into this house that room has like no furniture in it at all yet....basically a bookshelf with no shelves lol but thats on the otherside of it
http://www.digitalblackhole.com/Salttank/stand.jpg

pgaschulz
01/27/2008, 01:21 PM
If you have a cat its gone, if it is a new house check for anything that might be or around IE Snake, rat, crab, shut the light off he might come out....look under the carpet I found a convict there once

D-Rod
01/27/2008, 01:28 PM
Maybe some bristleworms made short work of him.

Pulp Fishin
01/27/2008, 01:47 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11699277#post11699277 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jubjubrsx
i took a picture from up on my stairs sicne i just moved into this house that room has like no furniture in it at all yet....basically a bookshelf with no shelves lol but thats on the otherside of it
http://www.digitalblackhole.com/Salttank/stand.jpg

You at least have the aquarium set up. Thats the best place to start with!:cool:

jubjub
01/27/2008, 02:21 PM
i just pulled about 1/2 the rock out looking for any sign of the clown...sniffle miss you missbar....he's doesnt appear to be in the tank anywhere! i only have 1 emerald, and 3-4 small blue legged hermits that could of eaten him....could they of finished off the entire 16$ meal in under 12hrs....cause he went missing around 7'ish last nite and looked for him about 5mins ago (noon) so im at a total loss?

no i dont have a cat..or any other pets for that matter...so thats out of the question....

jubjub
01/27/2008, 02:22 PM
also while inspecting the rock found no bristle worms....the rock was kinda dead mostly when i got it

Aquarist007
01/27/2008, 03:03 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11699885#post11699885 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jubjubrsx
also while inspecting the rock found no bristle worms....the rock was kinda dead mostly when i got it

just for fun some time--frag one of the bigger rock in half----you'll be surprised by what could be surviving in the core of the rock

jubjub
01/27/2008, 03:14 PM
when i say its pretty dead i took one of the larger pieces and took a screwdriver/hammer and cracked it it in half with and as i suspected yeah it was pretty dead not much of anything in there.....other then some algae looking red stuff

JCR's Reef
01/27/2008, 03:22 PM
Sorry for you loss. It doesnt tank long for the rest of the tank to do its job if it was laying on the sand bed. Hopefully you find the clownfish though.

jubjub
01/27/2008, 03:28 PM
see thats the thing jcr i would of thought i could find something a skeleton.....body soemthing but nothing...im going batty here lol

Veni vidi vici
01/27/2008, 04:22 PM
powerhead without sponge filter? I lost a clown to one once.

jubjub
01/27/2008, 04:24 PM
dont think it could be that all i got is hydor koralia's, and i have the fish guard thing on them......

jubjub
01/27/2008, 08:05 PM
after sitting around and my tank starting to look like it was going downhill corals closing up and what not i found a body.....im glad to know something in the tank enjoyed a 16$ meal.......

the head was completely eaten off.....im really baffled at what could of actually done that......ok time to go cry.....

Deb91
01/27/2008, 09:18 PM
Sorry to hear that! I kept checking back on you to see if you found him. Hope you find out what happened so it dosen't happen again! :(

jubjub
01/27/2008, 09:39 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11703100#post11703100 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Deb91
Sorry to hear that! I kept checking back on you to see if you found him. Hope you find out what happened so it dosen't happen again! :(

to be honest considering he had no head....i think something got a hold of him....i sure wish i could find the problem to.....the other fish seems to be doing great

Aquarist007
01/27/2008, 10:54 PM
sorry for your loss but it could be just a chance thing

I had a beautiful oversized elegant wrasse for about a year. One day it never came to the dinner table and was never seen again

I know it didn't carpet surf---all we can figure is that it liked to dive headfirst under the substrate--it might have got caught under there under the reef
what are the odds--just a chance thing

I would get into the habit of quarantining all new fish that you get for about 4 weeks--it protects the rest of the main tank from diseases like ich, helps difficult eaters to eat and gives a less stressful environment to acclimate

Leosdad
01/28/2008, 10:11 AM
Last summer I lost my female clown. She just disappeared, looked everywhere for her, never found her or any evidence (scales, bones, etc.)

One night she was there, next morning she was gone. She was part of a mated pair too. I just don't understand how a healthy, well fed fish like her could "just go away."

D-Rod
01/29/2008, 12:14 PM
Maybe the other clown bit it's head off.

jubjub
01/29/2008, 12:35 PM
oh well im having issues with the tank in general at the moment....its a death trap i always find the other fish in the sump, so friday i found a good deal for a 75g stand/canopy for 275$.......hopefully the survivor will survive til then....

yeah capn i know i should quarantine i took the risk because wasnt any other fish in the tank.....but when i get the new tank imma use my old 29g for a quaruntine....