PDA

View Full Version : Aptasia in my tank !

Faisal1976us
01/27/2008, 10:59 AM
Hi ,,

I have Aptasia in my tank , What is the problem with it ?
is it dangerous in reef tank ?

zdawgnight
01/27/2008, 11:10 AM
It grows like crazy and if you dont take care of it, it well spread all over the place. You need to take care of it right away. It is an anemone so it will sting corals nearby. I have used joes juice with 100% success

droptine11
01/27/2008, 11:24 AM
I have used Joes Juice with limited success. I have tried lemon juice, hot water, kalk paste as well, all with limited success.

I then put in two peppermint shrimp with dark brown tips of the tails. After a week, no more aptaisia and haven't seen any since.

smaier6
01/27/2008, 11:32 AM
I had over ten of them in my tank at one time and used Peppermint Shrimp to devour them. It has been around 3 months or longer and not one has returned. My recommendation is use natures method first before using chemicals. If they are large you will need to either get large Peppermint Shrimp or do what I did i got around 6 of them for my 60 gallon. Sorry to you buy purchasing all that many Peppermint Shrimp they did the job and killed all the Aptasia but there was not enough food I guess to support all of them 2 have survived. In my opinion it was a good investment. Good luck and let us know how the Peppermint Shrimp suggestion works out for you.

atoa
01/27/2008, 11:45 AM
The peppermint shrimp is the way to go. They'll get rid of the smaller ones. However, you may need to kill or remove the larger ones. I've had success killing aiptasia by injecting them with a little vinegar.

kryppy
01/27/2008, 11:57 AM
Posts like this make me sad I can't come over and take them off your hands. :)

I raise the cute little guys in my avatar and have trouble breeding enough aptasia to sustain my favorite little critters.

I am preparing to brave the 70 degree water and scrape a five gallon bucket worth of aptasias from my friends boat lift...

One thing I have learned, they do not usually just spawn from a spot you pick them off from. It is when they craw around and drop the little dots of genetic material which makes new ones.

smaier6
01/27/2008, 12:04 PM
How large approximately in diameter are the Aptasia 2-3 inches or smaller? If no more that 3 inches the Peppermint will gang up on it an destroy it.