PDA

View Full Version : how long before clowns and anemone get together?

Art_Vandelay
01/27/2008, 01:51 PM
Question: How long will it take for my LTA and mated pair of tomato clowns to host together? Before you answer you must know that the mated pair was in a tank together for 9 years and have been spawning regularly without an anemone. One week ago I took down and moved the tank (and all inhabitants) that the clowns were in from home to my classroom at school. I just transfered a LTA from a friend's tank that was hosting a maroon clown for about 2 years and placed it in the newly moved tank at school with the tomato clowns. The maroon clown was left behind. The anemone is attached and doing well. The clowns are hanging together but could seem to care less that I put an anemone in the tank for them. I would really love for this symbiosis to occur so my students can see it! It has been 3 days and I want to know how long it takes for the clowns to move to the anemone and call it their own. HELP!

Art_Vandelay
01/27/2008, 01:52 PM
the tank is 180 gal. Not sure if that matters or not?

walkerbrody
01/27/2008, 03:04 PM
some host within a day or so and some never do. I have heard that if you put a light on the anemone at night it might get them to host. If you feed near the anemone sometimes the host faster. I have heard of people putting one of the clown fish shaped algae holder near the anemone that they get the idea sometimes.

Mavrk
01/27/2008, 04:26 PM
It takes as long as it takes :) Tomato clowns will probably take to the host eventually. Keep us updated.

McTeague
01/27/2008, 04:30 PM
Took mine two weeks:

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b353/kilgore_trout1111/DSC00036-8.jpg

Art_Vandelay
01/27/2008, 05:39 PM
thanks, guys. I guess I just have to be patient :(