PDA

View Full Version : To hot for snails?

DragonRage
01/27/2008, 05:22 PM
I just added 4 blue-legged hermits and 4 mexican tubro snails to my tank, the hermits are crusing around but all the snails are just sitting there and havent moved at all. my temp is 80 degrees F. Thanks

Mental1
01/27/2008, 05:35 PM
Yup -- they don't like it hotter than 78.

kryppy
01/27/2008, 05:39 PM
Considering blue legs sometimes live on the shoreline in tide pools that hit 95+ in the summer, I say they will be fine.

My tank stays around 81 to 84 all year around and my hermits and mexican turbos are many years old.

Icefire
01/27/2008, 05:40 PM
well most tank are between 77-83 so your are right in the middle

DragonRage
01/27/2008, 05:47 PM
Oh, I thought I was supposed to keep my tank under 80, maybe they are just getting used to the tank, I acclimated them for 45 mins or so though

greenbean36191
01/27/2008, 06:41 PM
Assuming you're keeping a tropical reef tank there's no reason to keep it under 80. That's still below the average for coral reefs. However, Mexican Turbo aren't really tropical and 80 may actually be too hot for them though it would take a long time for them to show problems.

What you're seeing sounds much more like acclimation/salinity problems than temp.

DragonRage
01/27/2008, 06:51 PM
well my salinity is 1.025 with my refractometer and to acclimate them I put the bag in the water for about 15mins. then I added about a cup of my tank water into the bag for a half hour then put them in. only the snails arn't moving the hermits are good

DrBegalke
01/27/2008, 06:59 PM
You floated the bag for 15 min, then added a cup of tank water, then waited 30 min and dumped them in?

If so, they probably are in shock.

Some of my tanks run up to 86 deg and the snails are fine, so I don't think its the temperature.

DragonRage
01/27/2008, 07:00 PM
Should I have waited longer?

HoopsGuru
01/27/2008, 07:06 PM
Any idea what the salinity/specific gravity of the LFS water in the bag was? This becomes the most important (after temp is set) part of acclimation as inverts are very sensitive to changes. Most folks will drip acclimate inverts to make sure any changes are slow and will do so until the bag salinity/sg matches the display tank. For an example, if your sg is 1.025 but your LFS is at 1.022 you just placed in a cup that was a rapid change, and may have very likely not matched the bag to the display tank. Depending on the amount of difference, there is the potential for damage to the snails.

DragonRage
01/27/2008, 07:24 PM
I'm not sure what their salinity was, but confermed kills on all the snails, all the hermits are fine though. I guess that I just rushed it to fast, I'll research the drip-acclimation, now I feel bad for killing them.

mrrrkva
01/27/2008, 07:33 PM
Dont feel to bad, at least you found out what was wrong, and asked the questions, I would use that process for ANYTHING you add to the tank as the Fish stores almost always low in salinity and different parameters than your tank.

DragonRage
01/27/2008, 07:35 PM
Yeah, if I knew that I would have done it. The guy at the LFS just told me to do what I did.

HoopsGuru
01/28/2008, 08:20 AM
I would go back to the LFS and mention what happened...at the very least maybe you can get them to change their acclimation advice based on what happened to you and the new information you have received. Thankfully, if there is a bit of good news, it was only four snails as opposed to what typically are large orders of "cleanup crews" and that you learned something new which will give you more success and help educate others.

reef10
01/28/2008, 11:05 AM
Snail dies from just being dumped into the new tank, but it can take a while for them to slow down and die. It may not have been you but when they were dumped into the dealers tank or the importer's tank(wholesaler) or the collectors tank. Any or all of those prior tanks could be the cause. Try a few snails for different sorces and always quarentine.