PDA

View Full Version : nuisance algae question

n240sxle91
01/27/2008, 06:56 PM
I have a nuisance algae in my aquarium that I have not been able to remove. Some have said it was Asparagopis taxiformis, some called it Caulacanthus ustulatus, and others just called it red algae. The aquarium is acrylic and is 320 gallons. Because it is acrylic I don't want to add any turbo snails or urchins. It has a firm grip on the rock work, so if you try pulling it out pieces will be left behind. It tears pretty easily. The water quality is normal. Everything checks out there. I have tried doing excessive water changes, and this doesn't seem to have an affect on it. The tangs won't touch it. I have been told a rabbit fish might help. Before I add one of these, I would like a 2nd opinion on it. So, hopefully you guys can tell me exactly what I have and the best method of removing it! Thanks!

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/392473-med.jpg

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/392471-med.jpg

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/392472-med.jpg

mrrrkva
01/27/2008, 07:07 PM
Whats your phosphates like? Its gotta be feeding on something? Any way you can move the majority on a few rocks? Sometime you can put remove the whole rock it self or put it in a dark sump if you dont have any other coral on it. If you do pull it off, remove the rock from the tank, and place it in a 5 gallon bucket of tank water, and do the best you can to remove it. DONT put the tank water back in the tank, this way you are releasing more unnecessary spores back in your tank. I had it one time that almost looked like that, I took a turkey baster with a little calc in it and blasted it, but dont let it land on those corals. And dont use too much

Misled
01/27/2008, 07:11 PM
You didn't mention wheather or not you have a refuge or not. If not, that would be the way to go. The reason nothing shows up on test kits is it's bound by the algae.

Dude, that's a buttload of mushrooms!!!!

returnofsid
01/27/2008, 07:16 PM
I could be wrong but I think this might be Gracillia. If so, it's somewhat in demand for people with Tangs. It's like candy to them.

mrrrkva
01/27/2008, 07:25 PM
I think Returnofsid may be right but he said he had some tangs, how many fish do you have in the tank and what kind of skimmer? Are you running any carbon or tried running phosphate remover?

n240sxle91
01/27/2008, 09:07 PM
I do run phosban and carbon. My skimmer is the ASM G5. I also run ozone. I have three tangs (Atlantic Blue, Chevron, and Yellow) who won't touch that stuff. Because of that, I don't think it's Gracillia. I do have 100 gallon refuge. However, because of a large emergancy I had to use it as an aquarium. It has a couple of fish I can't add to the reef, and they ate the small amount of benificial algae I had started in there. However, it looks like I should be able to get them out within a week or so. At that time I plan on getting some benifial algae growing in there again. My water quality has been stable and good for over two years. All of my SPS are growing great and everything that doesn't tollorate poor water quality is still doing well too.

ryan_paskadi
01/28/2008, 02:45 AM
I like it. Leave it and just prune it periodically.
(I like the natural look)

n240sxle91
01/28/2008, 11:29 AM
Yeah, you wouldn't like it if it was in your tank! It's starting to take root in other places. You try pruning it and little pieces fall off. They land some where else and start growing there. I really need to get this out of the system before it completely takes over! Can no one ID this stuff? Once I know exactly what it is I should be able to figure out the best course of action to remove it.

cfarrow2
01/28/2008, 11:43 AM
I have the same problem w/ a hair algae similar to yours. Tough as nails! When I try to pull it out it takes chunks of LR w/ it. At least yours is purple though. My HA is the nastiest green you ever saw. I'd just wait until you reclaim your fuge. I don't think dosing or water changes will help much. You'll have to use some beneficial algae to out-compete it. Good luck!

crzy_pig
01/28/2008, 11:51 AM
If you decide to buy a fish to help control it, in the past i have brought a bit of the "food" to the LFS to see if the fish will even eat it.

n240sxle91
01/28/2008, 04:54 PM
I'm thinking the fuge is the best thing to try. I just wish I knew what it was so I knew if that was the best way to fight it. I might try a rabbitfish too. I doubt I'd mind if I lost some softies to it!