PDA

View Full Version : HELP! How to control micro bubbles

pnyxxpress
01/27/2008, 08:44 PM
I just got my 220 gallon aquarium going. But I'm having a terrible time controlling micro bubbles getting back in the tank. I have MRC sump. I have literally spend over 18 hours this weekend trying everything I can think of. What seems to work best is having the 1 1/4 return lines dumping into a 3 inch section of pvc. This seems to wash most of the bubbles to the surface. But it's not enough to prevent a terrible looking display.

Any asssitance would GREATLY be appreciated.

SuperAWE
01/27/2008, 09:01 PM
Need more info..

Skimmer , Return Pump ?.. Are the micro bubbles making their way through the baffles? Is the fuge overflow causing bubbles..etc

Pics would help too.

Thanks

poppin_fresh
01/27/2008, 09:23 PM
It may just need some time. My 180 had horrendous microbubbles for the first couple weeks until the plumbing slimed up. Beyond that, you are probably looking at too much flow through the sump.

pnyxxpress
01/27/2008, 09:28 PM
Skimmer MRC-3R

Fuge was a problem but I completely eliminated that issue

Return pump is a Pan World 150

95% of the bubbles are being created by the overflow returns.

Skimmer is producing some but not really the problem at this point. I gravity feed from the external sump which is about 8 feet from the tanks. I found by venting the return line from the skimmer almost completely elimnates those bubbles.

I going to try reducing the flow but I really didn't want to restrict the flow. The flow thru the baffles is way to fast. The bubbles are making it all the way thru. The return oulets in the tank look like smoke chimneys. That's how bad it is...

Twz
01/27/2008, 10:35 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11703769#post11703769 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by pnyxxpress
Skimmer MRC-3R

Fuge was a problem but I completely eliminated that issue

Return pump is a Pan World 150

95% of the bubbles are being created by the overflow returns.

Skimmer is producing some but not really the problem at this point. I gravity feed from the external sump which is about 8 feet from the tanks. I found by venting the return line from the skimmer almost completely elimnates those bubbles.

I going to try reducing the flow but I really didn't want to restrict the flow. The flow thru the baffles is way to fast. The bubbles are making it all the way thru. The return oulets in the tank look like smoke chimneys. That's how bad it is...
you sure you pump isn't sucking water?
or possibly a part of unglued pvc?

customcolor
01/27/2008, 11:14 PM
i had many problems with micros. then i finaly did what i didnt want to realy do and that was make 2 filter socks(one to use and the other for a spare) out of felt. after i put them on all my polyps closed up do to the extra amount of light that penitrated in the tank. i only have 175watt halides and dang its brighter now with clear water!

pnyxxpress
01/28/2008, 06:54 AM
Twz, I'm assuming you meant to say sucking air. How would I know if it sucking air. I'm guessing I should see a water leak when the pump is shutdown. If I let the tank settle and all the micro bubbles have disapated then start up the system I have good resullts till the force of the overflows start creating bubbles.

IceWish
01/28/2008, 07:42 AM
filter sock solved my micro bubble problem

SuperAWE
01/28/2008, 04:54 PM
Filter sock or a durso setup in the sump will definitely help.

Check this thread:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=1291360&perpage=25&pagenumber=1