PDA

View Full Version : Can copper ever be completely removed?

jade2122
01/27/2008, 08:45 PM
Ok, so turns out a made a dumb decision and had a brass gate valve on my new 90 gallon tank, it has been on there for a couple of days and I just learned that they contain copper. Needless to say this may be the reason for losing all my sps. Question being, it is a barebottom tank with about 90 lbs of live rock, is there a sure way to remove what copper might have leached into system? please help!

atvdave
01/27/2008, 08:49 PM
I think carbon takes it out.

First thing is to remove the brass valve and replace it with a plastic one.

sanababit
01/27/2008, 08:52 PM
jade you could try a polypad, i heard they take out copper from water, but copper could have been absorbed by live rock and could be difficult to get out, if thats the case the rock can only be used for fowlr aquariums

rbursek
01/27/2008, 08:52 PM
dO NOT KNOW, but most houses build in the 70*90 had copper piping until now and they went with the "plastic tubing" I just hope you have a RO/DI unit.
Bob

cloak
01/28/2008, 01:02 AM
Burp alert!

jade2122
01/28/2008, 05:51 AM
anyone else??

2crazyreefers
01/28/2008, 05:57 AM
I believe its seachem who makes a product called Cuprsorb or something like that which I was told works to remove copper.

daven
01/28/2008, 06:34 AM
Seachem makes Cuprisorb. I had slightly elevated copper levels and ran Cuprisorb. It brought the levels down to acceptable. I continue to run it.

Word off caution. It has very fine granules and doesn't work well in a reactor. It ends up clogging it up.

I recommend buying it in the 100ml packages. Comes in a media bag. Throw it in. When it turns dark you can reconstitute it. Directions on package.

Kent also makes "Toxic Metal Sponge". No experience with it but it looks like the same stuff to me.

ReefMonger
01/28/2008, 09:00 AM
Go get some Stress Coat from Aquarium Pharmacuticals. It detoxifies heavy metals. I have had to do this before in peoples tanks and now they have a full reef tank

mbbuna
01/28/2008, 09:12 AM
Carbon, polypad or cuprisurb will help remove it from the water. since you corrected the problem fairly quickly i dont think too much could have absorbed into the rock but thats just a guess. the only sure fire way to get it out of the rock would turn the live rock into dead rock