PDA

View Full Version : fish suggestions in 58ga

bues0022
01/28/2008, 08:28 AM
I have a little HA in a newish 58ga tank. I got to reading about turning some black mollies into SW fish to take care of the HA and brown algea I have. I know I need to take care of the underlying issue, but to help keep the tank clean I want another fish. Right now I have two true percs in the tank. Currently I have some softies in the tank waiting for light on my 30. The 58 will be mixed sps/lps. Unless the issue gets really bad, is there a different fish that can help me out? I am new to SW, and I don't really want to "waste" bioload in my tank on FW fish. There has to be a cooler fish to help keep my HA and brown algae down. Good swimmers are preffered, but if it does it's job, isn't too expensive, looks cool, I'm all ears. Suggestions??

X-FACTOR
01/28/2008, 09:09 AM
seahare will do it and can be removed easily later. The brown is probably diatoms and will just die off on their own. A 58 is kinda small for tangs but rainfordi gobies eat HA as well, any of the bristlemouth tangs, foxface's and rabbits will work (keep size in mind)

bues0022
01/28/2008, 09:21 AM
Shouldn't you be working on that tank? :) The brown isn't actually diatoms. I've checked it, and it's definately slimy and won't blow off like diatoms will. It's also on the rock, glass, sand, everywhere. I'd like a foxface, but will they eat any of my snails/hermits or munch on any corals? I know size is my biggest enemy. I need to bust out a wall too now! (too bad I rent though)

X-FACTOR
01/28/2008, 09:31 AM
Foxes are reef safe (for the most part) they might nip but rarely do any real damage. they will not harm snails or crabs. just get out the sawzall tell the landlord it was a "much needed stress releasing improvement to the house"

Shekki
01/28/2008, 10:34 AM
58 is too small for a rabbit. I just had to move mine out of a 75.

bues0022
01/28/2008, 10:51 AM
That's another thing I was worried about. Rabbits get kinda big for my tank. It seems like my 58 is the "largest small tank" one can have. It's just a little too small for lots of tangs, rabbit, and many other fish that graze on algae. Any other suggestions are welcomed though.