PDA

View Full Version : Feeding small gobies

Toledofishguy
01/28/2008, 09:10 AM
Admittedly, I bought a twin spot goby this weekend. When I got home I found this goby is hard to care for. I know, research first. Its small, less than one inch, active, sifting thru the sand. It will be a challenge for this fish to catch food when feeding. On a good note, he has not sand dwelling competition.

Anyways, has anyone ever made a device in order to feed less aggressive or bottum feeding fish. You know, a glass or plastic jar where only the goby crawl in and my tangs cant.

Toledofishguy
01/28/2008, 09:11 AM
I am embarrassed by my poor grammer in the post above.

iwishtofish
01/28/2008, 09:32 AM
I wouldn't worry about your grammar, Mike. It's not that bad, and I didn't really notice it until your second post brought it to my attention! :)

What are you experiences so far with your new goby when you add food to the tank? What are you feeding?

Toledofishguy
01/28/2008, 09:36 AM
I feed mysis shrimp, cyclopeeze, emerald entree, pellet, etc. You know, typical variety. I used a turkey baster to get food near the sand. It did not freak it out, but it didnt exactly tear after the food either. It more or less floated right by it.

It has only been in my tank for two days, but I am trying to be prepared.

Sk8r
01/28/2008, 09:37 AM
some people have had success with a starving sandsifter by using an eyedropper to 'force' something like cyclopeeze into an undersand pocket where he can find it, ie, near his burrow. Eventually they learn the taste and get more forward about seeking it out.

iwishtofish
01/28/2008, 09:52 AM
It took a few days for my sandsifter to grab a single bite of mysis out of the water, and then a few more days for it to take several bites. I think this was due to the fish still acclimating to the tank, and also being pretty wary of the more aggressive feeder - my flame angel.

Now, after having my goby for almost 2 weeks, it eats readily, although it seems to prefer to let the current bring the food to it. It only chases down nearby morsels.