PDA

View Full Version : Help me setup my 12 gal Aquapod Seahorse tank

djfrankie
01/28/2008, 11:55 AM
While definitely not new to the hobby this is a new goal for me.

I recently bought a used 12 gallon Aquapod in the interest of making it an exclusive seahorse and maybe pipefish tank.

This is a gift to my wife so help me out on this one.

I've never maintained these before in my life so my knowledge (regarding seahorses) is zero.

While most of you will probably send me a bunch of links to read, which I will do. I'm mainly interested at this point in the equipment that I need to have in order to maintain and make these thrive.

So here is what I have...you fill me in the rest that I need.

12 Gallon Aquapod (regular pc bulbs)
Lots of live rock at my disposal from my 210 mixed tank.
Heater to keep the temperature stable.
No skimmer I will probably do weekly water changes.(It beats water changes on a 210) :-)

Ok what else do I need in terms of equipment?

I will read as much as possible so good links are welcome!

thanks in advance,

djfrankie

krazeekiddie
01/28/2008, 12:15 PM
Hi, just curious as to what species you plan to keep ina 12 gallon? Only asking as most horses do need larger tanks, 12 gallon seems suitable for the smaller dwarfs (if you have a ton) and not many of the other species.

Adding 1 or 2 blue legs btw would help on food uneaten by your horses, or you can train them on a feeding station.

You do not need to be concerned on lighting.

If you are doing pipe fish, consider some macros for them to hide in! (Horses enjoy them as well!)

Just get a good cycled healthy tank & enjoy really!

Equipment wise, horses are easy! But care wise, difficult, but you have the 210, so you obviously are more than abreast in responsible care!

Good luck!!!!

krazeekiddie
01/28/2008, 12:15 PM
Forgot to mention, that size seems fine for pipes, just keep an eye on bio load!

(BTW: A small nano skimmer wouldn't hurt & they are pretty inexpensive!) I think that would be a good idea considering the size of the tank!

djfrankie
01/28/2008, 01:07 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11706853#post11706853 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by krazeekiddie
Hi, just curious as to what species you plan to keep ina 12 gallon? Only asking as most horses do need larger tanks, 12 gallon seems suitable for the smaller dwarfs (if you have a ton) and not many of the other species.

Adding 1 or 2 blue legs btw would help on food uneaten by your horses, or you can train them on a feeding station.

You do not need to be concerned on lighting.

If you are doing pipe fish, consider some macros for them to hide in! (Horses enjoy them as well!)

Just get a good cycled healthy tank & enjoy really!

Equipment wise, horses are easy! But care wise, difficult, but you have the 210, so you obviously are more than abreast in responsible care!

Good luck!!!!

Thanks for the reply.

I plan on keeping maybe a pair. I don't like overstocking any tank.

What kind of macro do you recommend. I maintain some chaeto that grows well in my sump. I'm aware that caulerpa goes asexual so no on that one.

djfrankie

djfrankie
01/28/2008, 01:10 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11706860#post11706860 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by krazeekiddie
Forgot to mention, that size seems fine for pipes, just keep an eye on bio load!

(BTW: A small nano skimmer wouldn't hurt & they are pretty inexpensive!) I think that would be a good idea considering the size of the tank!

I've been reading about nano skimmers and they seem pretty much useless and the good ones cost and arm and a leg so I rather go with the water changes. I maintain a 55 gallon drum with salt all the time so plenty of water at any time.

On to read I go :-)

djfrankie

krazeekiddie
01/28/2008, 01:38 PM
If you want a pair of Reidi or Erectus, I would go minimum 30 for the reidi, Erectus, minimum 40. That is just me. 12 gallons is to small really for even one of those horses to live in besides a QT Tank!

Actually, we use Caulerpa, and Chaeto, they really do love it & we have not had many issues as we do stay on top of water quality pretty tightly.

If you want seahorses, go bigger!! a 12 gallon really is just to small for anything but a "flock" of dwarfs. Then you run into culturing the cysts daily & that can be time consuming. (But worth while to those who love their dwarfs!) I am sure they are out there, but a dwarf eating frozen is something I have personally never seen.

(I say flock of dwarfs due to feeding density. you would realy need to put allot of brine in a 12 gallon tank for the dwarfs to eat properly & if you only have a few in there--holy pollution!!! (As brine are dirty little buggers)

Yea, I have read on the nano's myself, but Mine does pull out skimmate. That being said, I would rather have it pulling out something then nothing. I do not allow the skimmer to make up for much needed water changes either!

I know you said no links please, but an unmentioned website has a wealth of valuable information on stocking etc etc. I found it invaluable to me!

Here are some guidelines:

ok, I just looked, what I gave you is about what they are saying in the unmentioned site....We house all of our pairs in 40 gallon's.

I would go no smaller than a 29, with bigger being better. Don't go crazy though, allot of seahorse are pretty lazy! Plus feeding can get difficult in a really large tank. (That is when feeding stations are awesome--not to mention not having to find rotting mysis all over tank)

djfrankie
01/28/2008, 01:42 PM
Great info I really appreciate it.

I said links were welcomed though...so either post the link here or send me pm with it.

BTW, what kind of skimmer are u using on yours?

Thanks,
djfrankie

krazeekiddie
01/28/2008, 01:46 PM
Geez, totally forgot to mention while on the topic of macro, our horses love to hide in it. (I would be assuming it replecates a more natural habitat as well)

We still do have plenty of plastic realistic looking plants & coral replicas for them to hitch on, hide in & hang out on as well. Did I mention they are pretty lazy???

They really love the dead gorgonian "skeletons" as well (the fry)

I think variation really does make a much happier horse & a more interesting tank! (Since you really have to be species specific, there are not allot of cool things that go hand in hand)

So if you don't want to go the route of macro, lots of hitching "posts" and a hiding sopt will do you just fine!

krazeekiddie
01/28/2008, 01:52 PM
Lost the box, it is on a 10 gallon fry tank....hold on...let me do some digging....ahhhh...Fission!

Spend some time on seahorse.org. Or if you don't wish too, you are more than welcomed PM me! I started raising fry with my mom at the beggining of last year & I don't know it all, but happy to help you in any way I can!!! =)

Heather

djfrankie
01/28/2008, 01:58 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11707589#post11707589 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by krazeekiddie
Lost the box, it is on a 10 gallon fry tank....hold on...let me do some digging....ahhhh...Fission!

Spend some time on seahorse.org. Or if you don't wish too, you are more than welcomed PM me! I started raising fry with my mom at the beggining of last year & I don't know it all, but happy to help you in any way I can!!! =)

Heather

Thanks for the help.

I will head to that website tonight and do some readings so I can educate myself and don't have to ask you elementary questions.

Thanks for your help and we'll keep in touch.

djfrankie

djfrankie
01/28/2008, 01:58 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11707589#post11707589 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by krazeekiddie

Heather

Thanks for the help.

I will head to that website tonight and do some reading so I can educate myself and don't have to ask you elementary questions.

Thanks for your help and we'll keep in touch.

djfrankie

krazeekiddie
01/28/2008, 02:42 PM
No problem my darling! Feel free to PM me if you had anything else!!! (I don't always watch the boards!) (well actually I rarely do!)

Happy to help you in any way I can! If noone helped me, I would most likely have never gotten into the hobby!! It is what is alllll about & I love it!

Heather

4luvofhrses
01/29/2008, 06:15 AM
Hey there! Well, I was in a similar situation myself with a 10 gal tank.
A very well-known and experienced (and published on the subject of seahorses) expert told me that 10 gal would be fine for the following:
-dwarves -pixies -zulu-lulus (one pair)

The pain of it is that to maintain the water quality to a healthy standard, you really have to do water changes every other day, whereas with a larger tank, the quality would be more stable and you would have to do changes less often.

The zulus are larger than dwarves and pixies, and I've only seen them available through Ocean Rider. FYI- they weigh in at $165 a pop not including shipping, and I don't know anyone who would recommend buying just one. You need a pair for sure. Don't know what you are wanting to spend on your gift, but that's the information that I know from when I was setting up my tank.

I myself ended up going with a bigger tank so that I could get a pair of bigger (and less expensive) horses.

Good luck!

ann83
01/29/2008, 10:26 AM
Also, the "zulus" are Hippocampus capensis, and require a chiller to keep them in the high 50's/low 60's; they are a temperate species.

4luvofhrses
01/29/2008, 06:33 PM
...which is why I went with a different species also. Chillers are EXPENSIVE for a good one! I still need one for my tank, but not until the late spring/early summer months. (It does fine on it's own with a heater in the winter)

Fuscus are a really nice horse, too. They only get to be about 4 inches long.... don't know if a 12gal is big enough to house 2 of them, but maybe someone with more experience than me could weigh in on that.

Good luck!