PDA

View Full Version : Glass top on tanks PROS & CONS?

Roland Jacques
01/28/2008, 12:01 PM
I looking for pros and cons of glass tops?

Is there a glass that is best suited for letting light through?

I just main concerned on keeping light and reflectors clean (florescent /lamp setup). It seems that dirty reflectors can lower PAR 20%. And they can get dirty/salty very fast and a pain to clean. I tested a old stained (not cleaned) glass top and it only decreased light about 10% ( that was with a lux meter) I would think a new, clean, solar type glass would be far less light loss and easier to clean.

Has anybodyels tested these things?

cardgenius
01/28/2008, 12:13 PM
I wouldnt do it. They trap tons of heat, are a pain in the *** to clean. If you have MH and saltwater gets on it the light will literaly cook the salt to the glass.

Roland Jacques
01/28/2008, 12:30 PM
Heat is not a issue with most T-5s/florescent tanks. ( with fans...)
Do you really think a glass top is harder to clean than reflectors and bulbs?

schigara
01/28/2008, 12:44 PM
I think the biggest concern should be oxygenation or the lack of it with glass tops. Kinda like putting a bag over your head and breathing your own air over and over.

sw1tched
01/28/2008, 12:49 PM
I have glass tops on my 125. They keep the water from evaporating as quickly and keep my fish inside the tank where they belong. I have compact fluorescent bulbs. I cleaned the glass tops for the first time this past weekend. Tank has been setup for around 8 months. There was a little salt around the edges so I figured it’d be a good idea to clean plus I had some spare time. Didn’t notice any light changes, just looked cleaner afterwards. I don’t see an issue with them IMO.
-Joe

jackets22
01/28/2008, 01:00 PM
I think topless is the way to go due to the look and salt creep but you better get a auto top off or you will be creating a different problem.

Roland Jacques
01/28/2008, 01:03 PM
Yeah, I do see gas exchange as a legitimate concern.

I'm not sure how important SURFACE gas exchange really is. im going to assume it is very important. But I do see a lot of soft coral & lps tanks that use glass tops. If you tank gets 4 plus Xs turnover to a sump that does get great gas exchange, Surface gas exchange might not be as important as we think.

I guess a glass top can be made that sit 1/2" or so off the tank.

spartacusFL
01/28/2008, 01:26 PM
I don't think gas exchange is a problem at all, they do not produce any kind of seal and there is plenty of areas for the air to circulate. The only problems would be heat and light penetration. I have one on my tank and as long as I keep it clean I cannot see any difference.

DrBegalke
01/28/2008, 01:56 PM
I don't see gas exchange as being a problem either.

Pros: less topping off, possibly more stable salinity (if you don't use ATO), keeps fish from jumping out.

Cons: less evap. means higher tank temps, frequent cleaning, slightly less par.

Cleaning shouldn't be hard, just use a little bit of vingear (away from the tank).

For more on oxgenation, check out the video on:
http://reefvideos.com/

sk8rreefgeek
01/28/2008, 02:00 PM
glass filters out the UV's. UVT Plexi allows 98% of uv's/light thru

joshinjosh
01/28/2008, 02:05 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11706977#post11706977 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Roland Jacques

Do you really think a glass top is harder to clean than reflectors and bulbs? [/B]

yes

msn711
01/28/2008, 02:58 PM
On the reduced lighting/par issue: I don't think it's noticeable; my corals cant' seem to tell the difference either. I rarely clean the top because of this. But then again, I'm not a hardcore SPS nut.

On fish: I prefer them in the water. Glass tops are very simple and mostly effective when it comes to this (except for persistent fairy wrasses that will jump through anything). And I hate DIY work. I buy a glass top, stick it on the tank, and I'm done.

On heating: slight issue in the summer, but I've found that fans blowing across the sump will generally alleviate this problem.

On gas exchange: If you have a sump, definitely not a concern.

I do it to keep my fish in the tank. For me, that definitely outweighs the so-called cons.

r0bin
01/28/2008, 03:06 PM
I use glass tops and prefer them. Way less evaporation, keep fish in tank, keep other things out of tank. Temp. has never been a problem. Only diff. I notice with or without is the evaporation is heck to try to stay on top of. As far as gas exchange as long as you have a power head disturbing the water surface you should have great gas exchange.

Roland Jacques
01/28/2008, 03:06 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11707679#post11707679 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by joshinjosh
yes

We will just have to disagree on that. I don't even think it is close.

It takes me at Least 15 minutes to clean six T-t5 lamps and reflectors. Remove a clean six parabolic reflectors, and then reinstall them then clean six bulbs. VS 2-4 minutes removing a glass top and cleaning it.

The tank system that I am designing this light for has 6 tanks on it so minimizing maintenance is important. I plain on making custom one piece glass tops framed in plexi for each of my tanks. that way they should even be easier to clean

sk8rreefgeek
I think filtering out most UVs is good. according to some lighting experts. Do you no of any UVs that you would be filtered out from glass, that you would want in your tank?

sw1tched
01/28/2008, 03:07 PM
Its also nice to keep the water in the tank rather than floating around my basement.

Roland Jacques
01/28/2008, 03:12 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11708125#post11708125 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by sw1tched
Its also nice to keep the water in the tank rather than floating around my basement.

:confused: Humidity, i get it

sk8rreefgeek
01/28/2008, 03:14 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11708122#post11708122 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Roland Jacques

sk8rreefgeek
I think filtering out most UVs is good. according to some lighting experts. do you no of any UVs that you would be filtered that you would want in your tank.

Haha, no I guess I never thought of that. I just figured the closest thing to sunlight would be the best.

I used glass tops for a year, the water would build up underneath. it was pretty annoying, not to mention the cleaning

killagoby
01/28/2008, 03:19 PM
I did an open top tank this time around. I had to put a screen over the top to stop the fish from jumping out. I think next time around I'd do a glass top again w/ a wooden canopy. I think they look better, IMO. Plus, no jumpers.

Hell, do DE HQI bulbs. They need a glass shield to filter UV rays if that is your main concern. Then the reflectors and bulbs will stay clean...

sk8rreefgeek
01/28/2008, 03:25 PM
Hmm, you got me thinkin now...

this is one bit of info on UV sterilizers:

UV sterilization? It's actually a very simple process for removing (referred to as filtering) unwanted free floating microscopic water borne bacteria, parasitic, fungal, viral, algae, and other unfriendly pathogens out of aquarium water by exposing it to high intensity ultra-violet (UV) light. UV light has the ability to effect the function of living cells by altering the structure of the cells nuclear material, or DNA. The end result is the organisms die off, eradicating your aquarium water of these unwanted nuisances.

I'm guessing my T5's (216w) probably don't do much...

Another guy said that UV sterilization is bad for reef....

Any input would be appreciated, not to change the thread or anything

asonitez
01/28/2008, 03:27 PM
I was thinking this same exact thing guys. I have a Glass top but I have nto put it on. I have 2 Helfrichi Firefish that I am afraid will carpet surf as is their tendency to dart around. I think that I can get away with the Glass top Because I have a Sump and I have Installed Fans in the Sump that keeps that Area very cool. Thus I'm unsure of whether or not the Heat Exchange at the surface is SUPER important Since I'm getting it through my Sump.

sw1tched
01/28/2008, 03:29 PM
thats why alot of people use UV Sterilizers on timers. limit the ammount of use. running 24/7 they can kill most of benefitial bacteria. all depends on the size of the UV Sterilizer & your tank.

Roland Jacques
01/28/2008, 04:16 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11708250#post11708250 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by sk8rreefgeek
Hmm, you got me thinkin now...

this is one bit of info on UV sterilizers:

Off Topic My friend. Were on glass tops and glass filtering out harmfull UV is a Pro according to some experts.

sk8rreefgeek
01/28/2008, 04:26 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11706740#post11706740 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Roland Jacques
I looking for pros and cons of glass tops?

Is there a glass that is best suited for letting light through?

Sorry, I didn't know the pros/cons of UV light, which is directly related to your original question...