PDA

View Full Version : Elegance - sick?

electricbluelizzy
01/28/2008, 07:22 PM
What does a sick Elegance coral look like? I have one that I think looks good, but I don't have anything to compare to....

If you have one that is fading, how long does it take to die? Mine is about 5 months old.

The pictures I've seen don't really help.

Thanks!

snorvich
01/28/2008, 07:44 PM
Almost all of the elegance corals currently imported from Indonesia have a biological infection that will kill the coral. It may take months for this to occur. For pictures, do a search, there was a great thread about this a while back.

jonbry123
01/29/2008, 10:42 AM
I agree with Steve unfortunately your elegance is destined to die. I've had 8 in the last 5 years and all died. I read a post maybe here in RC but don't recall where they have discovered a disease that infects almost all elegance corals. Your fortunate that you've had this one as long. I don't think I had one more than a month at the most. I will never buy another one.

Scott

ArgonDreams
01/29/2008, 10:46 AM
This months RK Magazine had an article on this subject: Elegance Corals (http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2008-01/eb/index.php)

It has to do mainly with collection points, holding facilities, and proximity to others with the disease in the chain of custody. Try to get them from Australia with the shortest chain of custody possible. Live Aquaria puts them up from time to time in their Diver's Den. However many of the Jakarta collected specimens are doomed.

jonbry123
01/29/2008, 10:53 AM
Oh I forgot to answer your question about what they look like when they start to die. When you first got the elegance it should have been fully inflated and the tentacles about .05 to .75 inches long. There are many color morphs of this coral but all are primarily green with a mix of either white or brown. The tentacle tips are often colored blue, pink or white. Once the decline starts you will notice the tentacles do not fully expand. The body starts to take on a more rounded shape rather than a flatter pattern or more bubble shaped as opposed to spread out and somewhat flattened. Also it begins to lose it's color as well. Eventually it will begin to shrink until nothing is left.

Savas
01/29/2008, 11:47 AM
My local fish store sells them occasionally with a disclaimer that they, the store, in ideal conditions have only been able to get them to live 6 months. Like flame oysters, these are only temporary inhabitants of tanks.