PDA

View Full Version : Leaking Typhoon III, help please...

zanemoseley
01/28/2008, 09:03 PM
I have a AWI Typhoon III which I have absolutely loved for 3 years now. I just recently got new filter from Buckeye supply which by chance was the first time I went with a non-Air Water Ice set of filters (coincidence??) So I've tracked the leak down to the second vertical canister (first carbon stage), its leaking around the top of the canister where it screws onto the unit. At first I though I just needed some teflon tape so I picked some up today and wrapped it 5-10 times and it still leaks just as much. I guess though if its leaking from the top part of the fitting then it could be leaking without going by the threads. I haven't seen any cracking to damage to the fittings but I may take it apart later to look again. What should I be looking for? I don't mind buying a new fitting or something but I don't know what I really need.

Salamander
01/28/2008, 09:53 PM
I'm sure you've checked but is the O-ring still there? Maybe some silicone grease would help. I think they recommend it when you replace cartridges. Call Walter at AWI. He's a great guy with excellent customer service and might be able to help.

zanemoseley
01/28/2008, 09:55 PM
The O ring is ineed still there. I'll try that. Where do you get it at? I wonder if Lowes has it? I think I heard Walter sold the biz to someone else. I may try and call anyway.

lilchris
01/28/2008, 10:14 PM
They are sponsor on Reef Central now. You can post this in their sponsor forum. I am having the same problem w/ Dual RO/DI unit from AWI. I will be following this.

Buckeye Hydro
01/29/2008, 11:32 AM
First remove any teflon tape you've applied to the threads of the vertical housing. Next, pull the oring out and wash it - mak esure there are no DI beads or other forign matter on the oring or in its "seat." Lube the oring with food grade silicone grease. Tighten by hand only, or give it just a little tweek with the wrench, but not too much. If it still leaks you need a new oring or the housing is cracked or faulty.

Russ

Buckeye Hydro
01/29/2008, 11:32 AM
Are these the double oring housings people are having trouble with?

zanemoseley
01/29/2008, 07:51 PM
Thanks for the reply russ, I'll try that tommorow night. As far as I know its a single o-ring that seats in the canister. Not sure where to get food grade silicone but I guess I'll find some.

Buckeye Hydro
01/29/2008, 08:04 PM
We have it, or you might be able to find it a a speciality hardware store - I don't think the typical hardware stores have it.