PDA

View Full Version : SCWD broke: replace or scrap?

Zucker26
01/28/2008, 09:15 PM
I'm running a 29gal display tank with a CA-O external pump rated at ~1300gph. Right now it's throttled back slightly and split twice: one output feeds directly to the center of the tank, the other feeds a SCWD that then goes to both ends of the tank.

For one reason or another, my SCWD has knocked off. I thoroughly cleaned it, rinsed with vinegar, etc. I figure something mechanical inside broke.

I really enjoy watching my softies sway when the current changes, but I'm not sure it's worth buying a new SCWD every 6 months (even if they are only $30). I also prefer to get my current only from my return pump; powerheads just take up too much room in a small tank.

So should I replace my SCWD or scrap it and just put in a T-joint? Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations?

avshockey311
01/28/2008, 09:35 PM
I have heard several other cases that peoples SCWD have stopped working. I think most people will recommend ocean motion for alternating currents.

jeweldamsel
01/28/2008, 10:13 PM
I scraped mine for couple reasons. First SCWD slows down the water flow from return pump. Second my wavemaker works better than it.

kartracertj
01/29/2008, 10:22 AM
Dont scrap it, you can mod it. There are several DIY SCWD mods to choose from, just search for them. I modded mine and use it along with my wavemaker. It keeps the flow nice and random.