PDA

View Full Version : Sea Apples (psuedocolochirus)

darthwall
01/29/2008, 02:04 AM
Last week we purchased a very large sea apple. The store told us he/she was healthy and thriving. We would like some general info. about these creatures. It's eating all day, but changes shape often. Any information about these guys would be helpful from an experienced person. What do they look like when their happy? upset? or dead? We know their filter feeders and have the appropriate food, just always looking for more information so we can care for this guy to keep him healthy.

redox
01/29/2008, 04:30 AM
sea apples are awsome. Just a little warning comes along with them. They can exspell their insides and cause your tank to crash.Other than that they are very cool. Good luck with yours. I have a friend that has had one for a very long time with no problems;)

darthwall
01/29/2008, 06:26 PM
well im hopin that mine will not kill everything when it was at the pet store it was about 6" round and i brought it home and now it looks like a sausage i read that when they are distressed they will get big like that and when they are calm and happy they are smaller and look like a sausage but anyone out there seen first hand thats what i want to know

snorvich
01/30/2008, 06:39 PM
Well, you can roll the dice . . . cool animals but totally toxic.

yrema
01/30/2008, 06:48 PM
sea apples are cool. :) here's a link btw,
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/mar2003/invert.htm

darthwall
01/31/2008, 12:06 AM
well I have already looked at that page but thanks any way guess i can just hope for the best on this one and try to keep it happy

yrema
01/31/2008, 12:40 AM
good luck darth! :D

FunkieReefJunkie
02/04/2008, 07:15 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11725745#post11725745 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by yrema
sea apples are cool. :) here's a link btw,
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/mar2003/invert.htm

"I will come back to a discussion of whether or not your animal is getting enough food below, but I first wanted to make a brief aside while on the subject of anal respiration." In what other hobby can you make a statement like that?
:lol2:

darthwall
02/16/2008, 12:23 AM
yes that is very true it breathes through its *** its a cool invert though

yrema
02/16/2008, 05:08 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11759524#post11759524 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by FunkieReefJunkie
"I will come back to a discussion of whether or not your animal is getting enough food below, but I first wanted to make a brief aside while on the subject of anal respiration." In what other hobby can you make a statement like that?
:lol2:

only here. :lol:

demonsp
02/16/2008, 05:51 AM
This is a "with extreme caution addtition". Just cause LFS said you could shows you shouldnt. You should know from water readings and other coral health and age of tank. You need the right conditions for it or it could die.Its death will release toxins and the effect could be from little to major coral lost.

Anton M
02/16/2008, 10:26 AM
If it gets stuck in a powerhead, you're in trouble.

darthwall
02/16/2008, 11:42 PM
ya already put prefilters on the powerheads and taking readings on a regular basis

glassocean
02/26/2008, 06:47 AM
I had one in my store that moved up the glass, and positioned itself to get blasted by the return water. He must have done this during the night. When I came in to the store the next morning, he was torn apart. This thing was a complete mess, it looked as if someone filleted it and then used a meat cleaver on it. I had to net the pieces out of the tank and assumed the worst. I was very busy that day and was not able to do a water change. This tank was a 150 gallon, stocked with alot of coral (no fish that I recall). Much to my surprise, nothing happened at all. No coral showed any sign of stress what so ever. Maybe I'm just lucky, I don't know.

dettigers77
02/26/2008, 01:21 PM
I agree, pretty much hit or miss. some clues I have found are the retain a nice healthy round shape. In my experience if they spend too much time elongated or even discolored that is a bad sign.