PDA

View Full Version : Low Specific Gravity

IndyReefMan
01/29/2008, 11:59 AM
I recently purchased a Flame Angel and a Filamented Flasher Wrasse and they arrived on Friday. Unfortunately, the wrasse died on Sunday. I'm very disappointed because this Wrasse was the most beautiful that I have ever seen. I called Customer Service and Ben was very helpful and credited the cost of the Wrasse back to my credit card. The reason that I am posting this is to bring to your attention that the specific gravity in the Wrasse's bag was 1.018 when it arrived. This refactometer was recently calibrated and the reading confirmed with my Pinpoint Salinity Meter. I understand why many retailers prefer to keep the S.G. low, but 1.018 seems a bit too low, considering that many of your fish (especially Wrasses) will be going into reef displays with higher salinities. I have been a very loyal customer of Live Aquaria over the years, and I will continue to be. I just wanted to bring this to your attention and see if this is an issue that may need to be addressed.

DFS/LA1
01/29/2008, 03:25 PM
IndyReefMan,

We are very sorry to hear about your Wrasse. Loss of a specimen is always disappointing for you and us. Thank you for calling us right away so that we could credit you. Your compliments for the helpful service Ben provided and about our company are appreciated. Thank you also for your inquiry about the salinity of your shipping water. Saltwater specimens from our California facility are shipped in water with a specific gravity of 1.019. We have experienced great results by following a slow acclimation as well as with the use of an established quarantine tank for all new arrivals. We apologize that your good efforts to acclimate were not successful in this case. If there is anything else we can do for you, please do not hesitate to PM us with this information. We are always happy to ensure your complete satisfaction.

Donna
www.liveaquaria.com Supervisors
Drs. Foster & Smith

dickhordishay
01/29/2008, 08:37 PM
Do you recommend 1019 SG in the quarantine tank and then slowly raise it up over several days? Or is a slow drip acclimation to, say, 1025 sufficient, and then place in QT at 1025ish?

dfs/la2
01/29/2008, 09:03 PM
Dickhordishay,

We would recommend a slow drip acclimation, with the usual time doubled as a precaution. The fish should be able to handle the salinity difference during acclimation, and increasing the time should help ensure the transition is gradual.

Nate M.
LiveAquaria (http://www.liveaquaria.com)
Drs. Foster & Smith (http://www.drsfostersmith.com)

StrategicReef
01/30/2008, 09:35 PM
I have had this issue as well, for a company catered to reef keepers this low salinity is uncommon, it's rather slow acclimation process to go from 1.020 (when I checked the bags came from California Facility) to 1.026. If you try to rush it, it is stressful for the specimen.. Fish handles it quite well but invertibrates takes its toll. In my last order I have most out of 25 snails died in 1 week, I dripped it for an hour, I believe they died due to my poor acclimation. I did receive a credit though. (thanks) I placed another order and I have to deal with this again tomorrow, but I plan to acclimate for 2+ hours this time to 1.026.

Maybe the fish only marine systems generally keeps the salinity lower, I don't know. The bottom line is that drip is a must for invertibrates and check the bag and tank before beginning. I wish the salinity was a little closer..

I don't have any problem with WI facility/Diver's Den, most I have gotten lately comes in around 1.028.

lhoy
01/31/2008, 09:20 AM
Yes, they keep salinity low for fish because it helps eradicate pests, etc. EVERY single fish store (that knows what they are doing) keeps salinity low for fish. You cannot do this for inverts and corals.

Fish should have no problem whatsoever being acclimated from a low to higher salinity over a reasonable period of time.

Lee

GoingPostal
01/31/2008, 12:39 PM
I can't imagine that many snails would die due to change in salinity, I only ever acclimate snails on temp alone and haven't lost one yet. I would think an hour would be plenty.

StrategicReef
01/31/2008, 05:57 PM
ok today the different snails come in at 1.026.. fish at 1.020
It's possible last time the packager used wrong water and picked the snails into the bag.. also they were alot packed into the same bag, this time I requested to have 3 different bags for less stress and they have done this for me, thanks LA.