PDA

View Full Version : Float Sitch and Solenoid Recommendations

AKMike
01/29/2008, 12:46 PM
I am building a sump and want to implement a float swith for auto top off and a solenoid to turn off my return pump in the event that my overflow loses suction. I am looking for tried and true models of each. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

AKMike

Chopstix
01/29/2008, 04:09 PM
I use the dual switch in sump model from autotopoff.com ... Pretty low priced compared to some out there, had a second switch to shut it all down if the first switch sticks. My water level doesn't vary a full 1/8 if an inch. I use it with an aqua-lifter pump frmo a resevoir then a float swich in the resevoir actuates auto shut-off on my ro/di. My resevoir is a 10g kitchen trash can with flip up lid that sits next to the stand and looks good sitting there. It's one of the rectangular jobbies about so high. Then I have a Quiet One 2200 pump in the resevoir to keep things circulating and a heater as well. This way I just draw out water, add salt and I am good to go instantly for a water change. Whole system came in around 100 bucks I would say (not counting the circ pump which was a spare), with ATO switch, pump, float switch and auto-shutoff valve for ro/di unit.

kgross
01/29/2008, 05:41 PM
Sounds like you will need 2 float switches 1 seloniod and 1 extra relay. Lower switch will turn on autotop of via the seloniod, second float switch will turn off main pump via a relay. You will have 2 seperate systems, unless you use the second float switch as a fail safe for both the ATO and the main pump.

Kim