PDA

View Full Version : 1/2 acryllic on 8' tank???

reefkeeper135
01/29/2008, 01:02 PM
Looking at a used acrylic tank dim-8'Lx4'Tx2'W anyone know if 1/2 thick is ok? any potential concerns?

Lucky-rc
01/29/2008, 01:40 PM
Mine is acrylic it is 89''long 30'' deep and 28''front to back.
It is 1/2'' thick I have had this tank since Jaws was just a minow out there.
Not sure what kind of deal you are getting on it? Mine new was ?about 1,400? Don't remember?
You'll like it I'm sure... You can fit a buttload of stuff in tanks this size. :)
Lucky

Lucky-rc
01/29/2008, 01:48 PM
Forgot to mention... incase you don't know.
Look at the seems alond the front, top, bottom, sides, ect...
You don't want to see air bubbles, cracks, or any dis-coloring.
I doubt you will if this tank was not a DIY project. I'm sure I will get beat down for this comment, but here it goes.... All acrylic mfg's give a full lifetime warranty. This means till you die or sell the tank. They offer this against breaking, and for a reason.... Because they don't. Oh I'm sure of the millions of members here someone knows of one, but....
The only thing that is a nucience is the depth, It's tough to just reach in and clean the view panels that deep. But it is worth the trouble and extra effort.
Lucky

rustybucket145
01/29/2008, 01:58 PM
4' tall sounds pretty deep for only 1/2" but don't quote me on that. What type of top bracing does it have? That will mean alot.

reefkeeper135
01/29/2008, 02:06 PM
The bracing is a concern for me as well, the current owner is going to send me some pics so I can get a better look.....

I think the price is pretty reasonable...tank, stand, pumps, lights and filters (fresh water set-up...but not if I get it :) )2,000

kilmca
01/29/2008, 02:16 PM
Wow that's a tall tank!

I have a 200 gallon 96" long x 24" wide x 20" deep tank that is made of 1/2" thick acrylic and it's fine. But 4' tall seems to be pretty tall for 1/2". Might have some deflection issues with the front and back panels depending on bracing like rustybucket145 said.

Maybe not, i'm no expert on acrylic tanks.

jawfish1
01/29/2008, 02:22 PM
I have a 240g tank that uses 1/2" and it is very sturdy. No problems at all. Mine is only 2' tall though. My only concern, as others have pointed out, is the fact that yours is 4' tall. I still don't think it should be a problem though... If the tank is used, that means it held water at one point, which is a good sign. Most designs of this size will use 1/2" acrylic and should work fine.