PDA

View Full Version : Trying to save bleached anemone

DeadlyMuffin
01/29/2008, 02:24 PM
I'm trying to save a bleached BTA that I've had for about a year. I currently have three BTAs in the tank, 2 that are doing fine (clones), and the third one that needs help.

This anemone came from the store completely white. I've seen bleached BTAs that have some trace of color in the tentacles, but this one is as white as a piece of paper. Since I've had it I've fed it regularly (mostly mysis), but it has slowly gotten smaller and smaller until now it is about the size of a stack of 5 or 6 quarters.

What can I do to try and bring anemone back up to snuff? I was hoping it would pick up some zooanthallae from one of the other anemones, but I've had no luck. I've started feeding all the anemones bits of fish soaked in Selcon, it's my last ditch attempt to pull this little guy back from the brink.

My lighting and water quality are fine, the other two BTAs have gotten bigger and darker in the time I've had them, I'm hoping someone can offer specific advice on diet.

Thanks

kimsie
01/29/2008, 02:37 PM
Oh I wish I could help - if it's shrinking then it's eating itself. Is there a way you can increase the feedings? How often are you feeding it? I'm trying to nurse a completely white one myself and just yesterday saw some neon green on about 1/4 of the tips... I've been feeding mine some squirts of rods food when I'm feeding the rest of the tank, then mysis on other days. I know a lot of people use silverslides - can you try some cut up chuncks of those?

Good luck... Maybe someone else has more help than I...

DeadlyMuffin
01/29/2008, 02:52 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11716480#post11716480 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kimsie
[B]Oh I wish I could help - if it's shrinking then it's eating itself.

I know, I just can't seem to help it!
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11716480#post11716480 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kimsie
Is there a way you can increase the feedings? How often are you feeding it?
Daily. Should I be feeding more often? I'm worried at this point it's just about done for.
I know a lot of people use silverslides - can you try some cut up chuncks of those?
I haven't been able to find someone around me that carries silversides. I'm feeding bits of mahi soaked in selcon until I can find some. I'd been using mysis until recently, but that obviously wasn't enough for this one.

garygb
01/29/2008, 07:01 PM
I would imagine most any pet store, including petco or petsmart, would have silversides. You can also feed small pieces of table shrimp soaked in selcon, or little pieces of fresh scallop.

DeadlyMuffin
01/30/2008, 10:42 AM
It moved and now I can't find it. I think I may lose this one :(

kimsie
01/30/2008, 11:08 AM
Bummer - so sad - I hope you find it...

DeadlyMuffin
01/30/2008, 01:36 PM
I really hope I find it too, I hate losing animals, especially something like an anemone.

My long term goal is to start producing anemones. I figure that any excess I produce and give away/sell is one less animal taken from the wild. I guess it's a little bit stupid and idealistic, but I'd like to think that even if I do lose this one anemone, in the end I will produce many to replace it.

blackthunda77
01/30/2008, 05:58 PM
I live in florida, over here you can get a 2lb chunk of silversides from the bait shack for the same price for a lil package at the lfs. I dont know what they sell in cali as bait but depending on where you are you can get it from there, its the same thing. Even squid from there is better, if itll eat it

DeadlyMuffin
01/31/2008, 03:48 PM
That's a very good idea. I'll dig up a yellow pages and start calling bait shops!

I know my local fish store doesn't sell 'em, and the only other one nearby just shut down. I'm a bit loathe to take a trip to petco (I find it incredibly depressing), so this is just the ticket!

blackthunda77
01/31/2008, 07:39 PM
yup, like i siad, it works for me. Good luck

kimsie
02/01/2008, 06:29 AM
Hi - have you found it yet? Mine is actually starting to sport some neon green on about 1/3 of it's tips... I'm thinking that's a good sign... So just keep trying and be patitent. Right now i'm feeding it Krill.

DeadlyMuffin
02/01/2008, 10:20 AM
No I haven't :( I don't have a huge amount of rockwork, but it isn't very big. I've moved around what I think I can get away with, but no sign of it.

AQUA DAVE
02/01/2008, 11:44 AM
If it dies you will have bad problems with water quality in your tank. If you notice algae or anything weird when checking your levels, be sure to do a couple water changes.

DeadlyMuffin
02/01/2008, 02:16 PM
I do 12 gallon water changes (that's somewhere between 15% and 20% of my water I think) once a week so I think I'm ok. Hopefully it won't come to that.