PDA

View Full Version : Sand substrate

gem
01/29/2008, 05:38 PM
I have been told I can use many different substrates for my reef tank. Live Sand, Dead sand (from lfs), crushed coral, aragonite, and even a sand that is purchased very cheaply form the hardware store. Is anyone aware of a type of sand from, say Home Depot, that can be used in a reef tank?

rickofco
01/29/2008, 05:54 PM
I have heard of people using it and heard some people not rcomending it

jon99
01/29/2008, 05:54 PM
As far as I am aware, and I have done a good bit of searching, the only "cheap" sand available from HD or anyother hardware store right now is silica based sand (not aragonite) so it does nothing as far as buffering the water. Some people belive that silica sand can lead to problometic algal blooms, but many many others report success with this sand and no problems whatsoever. Kolorscape White Play Sand comes in a clear plastic bag with blue writing. I found some at Walmart in the garden center. HD is also supposed to carry it. The only downside other then the no buffering thing is that since it is silica based it more jagged and square as opposed to rounded and might irritate coral and gobbies that sift the sand through their gills.

bertoni
01/29/2008, 06:01 PM
Aragonite doesn't provide any buffering, either, although it is very pretty. The HD sand will be fine as long as you like the looks, and just want a bit of sand for decoration. It tends to be too coarse to be good as live sand.

rustybucket145
01/29/2008, 07:34 PM
Check out Pulverized Limestone in the garden section. It's aragonite sand, beautifully white and depending on the brand, about the right grain size... btw, $4/bag. I'd choose this over play sand, play sand second then LFS aragonite last b/c of cost.

Robb in Austin
01/29/2008, 10:27 PM
I just started my tank a few weeks ago and am using pulverized limestone. It has very fine grain and a sort of gray color to it. The biggest problem as been the sand storm. I even rinsed it, admittedly not very much, and it still has been very cloudy.

I researched it a bunch and a lot of folks are using it without any problems.

Go for it! Can't beat the price.

Robb

demonsp
01/29/2008, 11:11 PM
To save money with no ill effects then any sand works.But if you could afford nothings better then all natural for uniformity and realisim.