PDA

View Full Version : Naso Tang

JosefDevaty
01/29/2008, 08:22 PM
I purchased a Naso Tang from my LFS whom I have had really good dealings with thus far in my reef tank experience last Friday. He doesnt seem to be eating however. He does pick at my rocks and has cleared out a lot of the small patches of algae that I had growing here and there. They told me to purchase Ocean Nutrition formula 2 marine pellet (if anyone is familiar with it). Hes comfortable in the tank and swims about freely. I gave them a ring and talked to one of the people working there and they said that this is normal and that it might take 5 days or so for him to start eating the fish food. Hes starting to look a bit thin and Im really concerned. Should I try feeding something else and if so what? Or should I try to take him back and trade him in for something else (Im thinking a pair of clowns)? I also know he will outgrow my tank in time..... which is a good excuse to upgrade :)

JosefDevaty
01/29/2008, 08:26 PM
Oh and since I know this may come up....
Nitrate 0
Nitrite 0
Ammonia 0
Ca 460 (little high)
SG 1.025
I use RO/DI water
Sump/Refugium with cheato
good flow in tank koralia4, maxijet 900, petsmart misc powerhead 300gph
I have some softies, LPS, zoas, and star polyps (all small frags thus far)

jonbry123
01/29/2008, 08:49 PM
Josef,

It is not unusual for any fish not to eat in the first week or so but I have found that not to be the norm. If this is Naso lituratis these surgeon fish often will only eat brown macroalgae. I had the same problem with mine but I also have on hand Two Little Fishes purple aglae that comes in sheets. I cut 1/2 inch wide X 8 inch long pieces and hand feed my herbivores including my Vlamingi tang. The Naso began to eat this algae and then also began to eat the other frozen foods, I use Ocean Nutrtion foods only. I would get an algae clip so you can put pieces of this in the clip to allow the fish to have a food source will it acclimates to it's new home. Also be aware that this fish can grow to nearly 2 feet.

Scott

Fischer's Angel
01/30/2008, 12:20 AM
I second jonbry123's reply - it is not unusual for new Naso tangs to learn slowly - mine took about two weeks to eat aggressively. The presence of natural algae on your rockwork may be giving him less "incentive" to try the new foods, as he has more familiar food to graze on.
You might try Nori soaked in garlic to entice him, and have patience, I am sure in no time he will be one of your most aggressive feeders. Mine ate flakes,Nori,Romaine,Broccolli,chopped shrimp and mussels,pellets and just about anything else I was feeding the community.
Enjoy your fish, he's a keeper!:)