PDA

View Full Version : How the heck do stands stay up?

redspot321
01/29/2008, 08:40 PM
Pine stand Made out of 3/4" wood.

My God I just helped a friend with a 75g perfecto stand. When the tank is on the stand it is supported by staples ONLY!!!! The parameter that the actual tank frame sits on is 3/4 in pine thats stapled to the 3/4" pine running up and down.

Have these ever come crashing down before?

What would be a good way to add some stability to this thing?:eek2:

poppin_fresh
01/29/2008, 08:43 PM
AGA stands are built the same way. I have to admit that they look scary, but I have never heard of one busting.

Waxxiemann
01/29/2008, 08:43 PM
Building a framework out of wood (2x4") or steel (square tube) and THEN wrapping it in ply is a safe bet.

I don't think I'd sleep at night if my tank was being help up by staples.

redspot321
01/29/2008, 08:48 PM
This is the same pine stand that youll see in 75% of homes. I guess there safe. Id be scared to even throw in a few screws due to the wood possibly splitting.

Waxxiemann
01/29/2008, 08:54 PM
They want to use the least amount of material possible in order to maximize profits. You should tell your friend to build his own.

ccorpse27
01/29/2008, 09:00 PM
Wood is very strong but you're right, some of these stands are scary. I do know that a 2x4 by itself can hold at least 2k pounds.

sjm817
01/29/2008, 09:03 PM
The strength is not from the fasteners that hold it together, its from the vertical strength of the material. Put a piece of 3/4" pine on end and try to crush it.

hansmatt
01/29/2008, 09:04 PM
yep, it's the slight "wind" that'll kill you every time...the minute you push a tank off center (pulling the staples) you're a gonner!

poppin_fresh
01/29/2008, 09:29 PM
While 2 x 4's can be very strong...if used incorrectly they wont support a tank any better than 3/4" solid pine.

The thing to note is the stands dont rely only on the staples, but glue as well, which is far stronger. Look close and you will also see reinforcement strips that will help resist torsional forces. Granted they are not built to hold an obese bull elephant (like most DIY), but they will get the job done for those not wanting to build their own.

ksouers
01/29/2008, 10:37 PM
The staples are not carrying any load. They are only there to stabilize the components. My AGA stand has dados cut into the vertical pieces. The horizontal pieces that the tank actually sits on are recessed into those dados. The staples only keep everything sitting in tight formation.

Granted, I would prefer it was built better. I've been seriously considering adding some plywood gussets to the corners. I know it couldn't have cost more than $50-$75 in materials and labor, given volume discounts and some minimal automation. A couple gussets would have really made it sturdy.

I wouldn't buy this thing, but it came with the tank at a more than reasonable price just for the tank.

sundancer
01/29/2008, 11:47 PM
Long as you don't push on the thing sideways it will hold up. Wood have extremely high limits of compression strenght. Early manfolk have used wood wedges to split rock!

tydtran
01/30/2008, 09:42 AM
Have you ever looked at the construction of new houses. The oriented strand board I beams scare me a lot more than the pine in my aquarium stand.

goldmaniac
01/30/2008, 09:43 AM
hah

"manfolk"

bdif
01/30/2008, 09:51 AM
My 240 stand is built entirely out of .75" plywood. The difference is that it's furniture grade birch. Pine is a "soft" wood.. Either way, as long as the wood itself is supporting the entire load, you're good.

asonitez
01/30/2008, 10:34 AM
Poppin_Fresh... Lol... Obese bull elephant like most DIY... made me laugh out loud.. lol... good stuff.

in either case... does this mean its ok for me to take out the center brace on my oceanic stand to take out my sump and replace it with a custom built one?