PDA

View Full Version : HELP NEEDED - Auto Top-Off Malfunction, SG 1.014

b.branscombe
01/30/2008, 11:23 AM
Hi folks, at some point my auto top-off unit decided to become simply a top-off unit. This happened at some point last night, and due to exams I was writing this morning, I didn't notice it until just now when I came home. The tank is a 220g reef.

I'll worry about the water damage later, right now my main concern is the tank itself. Everyone is looking fine at the moment, but the specific gravity has dropped to 1.014. I will be taking water from the tank, hypersalinating it, and returning it, but I don't want to change the salinity too quickly as this will do more damage than the prolonged exposure to low salinity levels.

At what rate should I increase salinity back to normal to avoid killing all the inhabitants from salt shock?

Thank you.

xtm
01/30/2008, 11:31 AM
I would do 0.05 about every three hours until you get to 1.025.

1.014 isn't too low.

Savas
01/30/2008, 11:32 AM
I read somewhere this summer that .07 is the recommended salinity increase per day, unless you have an emergency. I beleive the article also said too much is worse than too litttle, so you should be fine.

b.branscombe
01/30/2008, 02:47 PM
Thanks for the help guys. Everyone in the tank still looks fine, so I'm not as worried.