PDA

View Full Version : Need help with Octopus Protein Skimmer

edmlfc1
01/30/2008, 02:45 PM
First of all I tried to install the protein skimmer on the back of the tank. I am 1/4" too close to the wall. I tried to move the tank but I am just not strong enough. So I put it on the side of the tank. Fit perfect there (is this ok?)

Second question now I am getting all these micro bubbles. How do I stop them? Or will it stop on it's on? The protein skimmer is making the micro bubbles by sucking in the water to the skimmer and then going into the second chamber that leads out to the tank. I made sure the protein skimmer is level.
Here are some pictures:

The tank with the bubbles, you can't see them very well but they are everywhere
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee127/edmlfc1/DSCF1644.jpg

This pictures is the protein skimmer outlet & middle chamber
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee127/edmlfc1/DSCF1645.jpg

This is the side of the protein skimmer the first chamber
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee127/edmlfc1/DSCF1646.jpg

edmlfc1
01/30/2008, 03:10 PM
Btw what are the black ledges with the screws for in the second picture?

MrSandman
01/30/2008, 04:37 PM
I take it that you don't have a sump?

DanInSD
01/30/2008, 05:40 PM
It may very well be a break-in phenomenon.

Dan

dzeadow
01/30/2008, 05:49 PM
Everything looks good so far...

1) break in period could take a few days to a week just depending on the system/components etc. Once it breaks in, you'll notice that there will be less micros going from the reaction chamber to the return chamber.

2) To help reduce the amount of micros free-floating in the tank from here on out, turn the outlet elbow to face the glass, just make sure there's about 1/4"-1/2" of space between as not to restrict flow. This will allow most of the bubbles to just rise up to the surface.

I never figured out the black things... I was thinking it was to help level out the skimmer on the top, but they're not needed. It might very well be to push the skimmer and hold it so that the pvc going into the tank is tight against the glass so that a true level can be achieved, if it's just resting on the glass, even if you level out the bottom "bolts" the top can still slip around... just a thought.

silverwolf72
01/30/2008, 05:53 PM
Give it about a week or so to break in

edmlfc1
01/31/2008, 06:42 AM
When I turn it on the collection cup on the left fills with water within a few minutes then starts to over flow. I was reading on forum pages and someone suggested (about a different skimmer) to add adjustment air valves so I tried that. Now the chambers are not overflowing but the micro bubbles look like this:
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee127/edmlfc1/DSCF1647.jpg

Someone also suggested a sock or a sponge. I tried to put a sponge inside the chamber and everything overflowed all 3 chambers, I put the sponge on the outside of the outlet pipe and the bubbles just went right through the sponge. I cannot leave this thing on all day while I am at work. I may come home to an ocean on the floor. Last night I just unpluged it before I went to bed because I did not want to wake up wet. I am at a total loss and I decided I don't like protein skimmers. lol.

edmlfc1
01/31/2008, 08:10 AM
BTW: I was just reading another post and realized the rubber bands are to raise and lower the collection cup.

I said I was short 1/4 of an inch to put it on the back of the tank, don't know what I was thinking it's more like 1/16 inch. Sunday I am going to dain the water into holding buckets and try to move it just far enough to fit the skimmer on the back. I am also off that day so I will plug it back in and try again while I can be home all day to keep an eye on it.

Sorry about all the questions but I did not get any instructions with this skimmer(The only instructions I received with this was a diagram). I did research on the net but found no instructions just another diagram.

Does anyone have a link for troubleshooting that I can read over?

dzeadow
01/31/2008, 08:12 AM
The reason you're getting that many micros in your tank is, when you reduce the amount of air going into the pump, your increasing flow, so there's more water flowing through the chamber that's designed to only handle so much, so it's pushing all the bubbles out.

How about this, if you take both collection cups out of the skimmer and turn on both pumps, and leave the airline wide open, what happens then? When you do that, notice where the water line is, and adjust your collection cup to the top of that line. Do that for both sides. Maybe this will help while it breaks in. I know when I clean mine out or when I put my new pipes on, it went crazy and overflowed the cup. When I put the cup too high for the bubbles to reach it effectively, it eventually calmed down. It takes a day or two, but you'll notice it. By turning it off and on, you're not letting it break in fully as fast. I understand your concern about a flood though! Try this and see what happens.

dzeadow
01/31/2008, 08:13 AM
also, remove all the sponges from the skimmer for the time being.

luke33
01/31/2008, 09:04 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11729287#post11729287 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by edmlfc1
When I turn it on the collection cup on the left fills with water within a few minutes then starts to over flow. I was reading on forum pages and someone suggested (about a different skimmer) to add adjustment air valves so I tried that. Now the chambers are not overflowing but the micro bubbles look like this:
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee127/edmlfc1/DSCF1647.jpg

Someone also suggested a sock or a sponge. I tried to put a sponge inside the chamber and everything overflowed all 3 chambers, I put the sponge on the outside of the outlet pipe and the bubbles just went right through the sponge. I cannot leave this thing on all day while I am at work. I may come home to an ocean on the floor. Last night I just unpluged it before I went to bed because I did not want to wake up wet. I am at a total loss and I decided I don't like protein skimmers. lol.

WOW, there's definately something wrong here! Raise your collection cups all the way up and let the air go full blast. Are the micro's coming out of the exit tube or are they coming out the volute cover on the pump.

edmlfc1
01/31/2008, 09:09 AM
Ok, took out the sponge and took off the air control valve. There are not as much bubbles but still about a million or so. Moved the collection cup up above the water line and nothing seems to be overflowing at this time. My mother will be at my home today to keep an eye on it while I am at work. I told her to just unplug it if it starts to overflow. Here is a new picture.
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee127/edmlfc1/DSCF1648.jpg

I will be home after 6pm. I will post another reply then and let you know how it's going. Thanks so much for your help.

edmlfc1
01/31/2008, 09:10 AM
BTW: Micro's are coming out of the exit tube.

dzeadow
01/31/2008, 09:19 AM
ok, now let it break in like this for a few days. The micros should go away. The first pic I saw only had 1" of the collection cup showing, that's WAY too far down. Now they look right. That's what was causing the overflow! Try turning the elbow towards the glass and make sure theres a space for water to exit, that should help to decrease how many micros are just free floating around the tank.

edmlfc1
01/31/2008, 09:29 AM
Ok moved the outlet towards the front of the glass. I could not turn it all the way around. Now I only have 1/2 million bubbles. Yeah!!! If I do a water change and turn off the protein skimmer will this happen again after I break it in?
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee127/edmlfc1/DSCF1649.jpg

dzeadow
01/31/2008, 09:38 AM
no... unless you're changing out a ton of water, the pumps should be below the water line and can remain on. The break in period is basically to "slime up" the insides of the pumps/pipes, remove any factor "crud" that may be on the insides. After they're slimed up, you shouldn't have another break in period.. until you clean your skimmer if you ever do that.

luke33
01/31/2008, 09:38 AM
Water changes should kill the foam head but other than that nothing else should happen. When you dose with anything or feed, put your hand in the tank the foam head will die as well and take round 30-1hr to come back. Thats normal. Now if you change water and put something dechlorinates the water then you'll get some micro's and overflowing in your skimmer sometimes. So i don't reccomend that.

edmlfc1
01/31/2008, 10:53 AM
I just got my RO/DI unit in yesterday. I will be hooking it up this weekend. Hopefull I won't have any problems with it. But I know who to call if I do. Now once I hook the RO/DI and start using this water for my water changes will I need to stop using the prime for the dechlorinates? I know this may sound crazy but after testing my tap water weekly I always have .50-1.0 ammonia in my tap. Will the RO/DI take out the ammonia? They are building a new water plant a block away from my home so I am hoping I will have better water after it's built.

Btw: The reason I have not been using RO/DI just incase anyone is wondering is because my 2 Green Spotted Puffers were raised slowly over 5 months from freshwater to saltwater. Now that my tank is saltwater I am learning what all I need for it like a protein skimmer, Live Rock, RO/DI etc.:D

Thanks so much for all your help.

I just called my mother she said the water level is staying the same and the bubbles are about the same. She said it's looking good so far.

Hey Luke33, is that Tombstone on your picture? I love that movie I must have watched it about 1000 times. My husband hates to watch it with me because I know every line in the movie. :D

luke33
01/31/2008, 11:49 AM
I've watched it thousands of time as well. My wife has watched it a total of zero times : (

And don't use prime anymore after you hook up your rodi.

edmlfc1
01/31/2008, 12:09 PM
Just tell her it's the best western ever made in the whole wide world. If you you get her to watch it once she will be hooked!!!!
:D

Thanks for the reply I will not use prime no more.

edmlfc1
02/02/2008, 07:00 AM
The bubbles are slowing down. Yeahhhhh! Problem is I hate this thing on the side of my tank and I want to move it to the back. Tomorrow me and my husband will be taking out about 75% of the water so that we can move it away from the wall just far enough to put the skimmer on the back. I know the bubbles will start all over again and it will probally take a few days for it to slow down. But I can't leave it where it is. I have my hood and lights over lapping and cannot get into the tank when needed. So I decided to post an update before the move. I have 5 buckets ready to hold the water and I will do about a 10%-15% water change.

Someone said if I try to move the tank it will cause it to leak, but I have moved a freswater tank across the room this way before several times and never had a leaking problem. If anyone knows of a better way to do this please let me in on the secret.

I appericate everyone's help with the skimmer. I don't think I could have done this alone. Actually I know I couldn't do this alone. lol
Here is an update picture:
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee127/edmlfc1/DSCF1657.jpg

dzeadow
02/02/2008, 12:41 PM
I just moved my DIY tank this way yesterday, no problems! Also, you won't have any more bubbles when you move it than before you moved it. Just because you turn it off doesn' t mean it'll break in again. Even if it does, it'll last for a few hours at most. Glad it's working out for you

edmlfc1
02/02/2008, 12:52 PM
Thanks! That's great news. I really do appericate everyone's help.:D

NCNBilly
02/02/2008, 03:47 PM
Something still isn't right, you shouldn't really get any large amount of microbubbles back in the tank. I have the NW-150 and never have any problems. Have you tried calling them?

dzeadow
02/02/2008, 05:55 PM
your in sump version shouldn't put micros back in the tank. Thats one of the draw backs of a hang on, they'll put bubbles in the tank until they're broken in

edmlfc1
02/07/2008, 06:36 AM
Check it out, the micros are almost gone. Looking good. Next question, do I need to lower the collection cups now & how long before I can expect to start seeing the brown sludge?
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee127/edmlfc1/DSCF1679.jpg

luke33
02/07/2008, 07:04 AM
Yes, i'd lower your collection cups until the foam is about half up the neck, and then you wait. Could take a few days, could take a week. But just try and set it up an dleave it be.

edmlfc1
02/07/2008, 07:59 AM
Thanks for the quick reply, I'll do that right now.

dzeadow
02/07/2008, 08:11 AM
I had good results with my 100F when putting the collection cup bottom right in the middle of the thicker layer of foam on the top of the water... but different skimmer.. it'll take a little tweaking to find your own sweet spot.

NCNBilly
02/10/2008, 09:53 AM
Doesn't look like you have much bioload, so there may not be a lot to skim. I get a about 1/2 cup of sludge a day...

edmlfc1
02/10/2008, 10:23 AM
My nitrates stay below 5 sometimes they go up a little above 5. I don't plan to keep any corals so I'm not too worried about keeping it around 0. It seems my bubbles are getting less and less, now I have a few hundred bubbles. I have one cup about an inch higher than the other cup. But they are both above the bubbles so that I don't overflow. I'm getting about 1/4 cup of brown water not quite sludge about every 3-4 days. I guess that has to do with a small bioload. Must be a good thing. lol. At least I know I'm not overstocked. I might be once they start to grow. I have noticed that I don't have the brown algea anymore. Does this have anything to do with the protein skimmer? Also I figured with the protein skimmer, pumps, powerheads & hob filters I pump 1900 gph. Is this good for a 125 gallon. I have a great current and nothing stays on the sandbed. When I drop food you can watch it move around. It won't stay in one place unless it gets stuck on the LR.