PDA

View Full Version : Best 250 MH colour for softies

mattsilvester
01/30/2008, 03:05 PM
I am converting my tank to softies..... and by softies I mean leathers.... no LPS or Zoo's.... just plain old leathers, mushrooms and star polyps....

I have 2 no. 250 SE MH lamps on my 240..... there is a bit of shading in the middle, but it looks ok to me and I am happy enough with it. But for my softy conversion, I am going to raise them up to about 14"-15" over the water, and centre them to get the maximum spread possible. It just so happens that it is about the right time of year to replace the bulbs.... at the moment I think they are 14 or 16k. I do not run actinics or ny other supplemental lighting.

So..... what colour should I go for to:
(a) Best benefit the health and growth of the corals?
(b) Show the corals off to their best?

I was thinking of just going with BLV 20k.........

(Please note - downgrading / upgrading or changing the lighting system is not an option..... there just is not the capital there to fund it!)

Cheers

Matt

greennd79
01/31/2008, 05:52 PM
I have 14k hamilton but i also have 2 96 watt attc. and i have a softie tank and they look awesome the 20k are really blue but if thats all you are running and no attc. then you can go with the 20k growth will be slower but it wont kill the coral

mattsilvester
02/01/2008, 02:45 AM
I see...... I think I'll stick with the 14k's then..... I would like the corals to grow and fill the space - to start with at least..... then maybe switch to the 20k in time, if I feel the need to go more "blue".

Thanks,

Matt