PDA

View Full Version : The damsel from hell

steelhead97
01/30/2008, 06:17 PM
OK, I have a jewel damsel that is about an inch but really is the most aggressive fish in the tank. He is one of four damsels the other three being blue damsels and one blue fin damsel, all 3 are passive and do not act aggressivvely towards other fish. The Jewel damsel will dart out from his rock cropping and nip at 5 inch tangs, angels, wrasse all day long. He kind of sneak attacks though and catches them unaware and they go scuttling off. I think he is more of a nuisance than a real threat to the bigger fish. I know the fish in the tank would be better off without him but the idea of tearing down a tank with 200 lbs of live rock is not something I want to tackle. Should I be overly convverned about the damsels behavior and the health of the other fish with him around? Some of the bigger angels once they get nipped will turn around and chase the damsel back into his hole, it's kind of funny. What do you guys think and if I should remove him is there some type of trap I can get? Thanks

snorvich
01/30/2008, 06:20 PM
There are fish traps that work well if you are patient. I personally would not tolerate a fish that acted that way so I would remove it. Of course, it is your choice. As long as you can live with the consequences.

tydtran
01/31/2008, 08:59 AM
I would recommend taking the fish out. As he grows bigger, he will be uglier and more agressive. Look in the advanced topic forum; there is a nice thread in there about methods for catching fish without taking your tank apart.

kar93
01/31/2008, 09:34 AM
I had the same problem with a Humbug i tried the fish trap but he never went in it. Its like he knew what it was for. I ended up having to take all the rockwork down to get him out. If a fish dies ill say its in a reef in the sky but hes going to hell!