PDA

View Full Version : Coralife Super skimmer ...Good? bad???

Larah
01/30/2008, 06:45 PM
Opinions? Thoughts?

Also, "miracle mud".. thoughts?

usmc121581
01/30/2008, 06:50 PM
I am running a CSS 220 and a CSS 125 on my tank. I mean they are very good for there price but if you can afford to go with the high end models.

emeushaw
01/30/2008, 06:53 PM
I bought the 65 a few months ago for my 29 and I love it. I have it set up as an HOB in my office and it's very quiet as well.

SteveNMegz
01/30/2008, 07:00 PM
we have the 125, we like it, some people have trouble with keeping the water level stable to produce good bubbles,we have it in our sump on the intaek side so the level stays constant, also ours produces tons of micro bubbles in the tank when we had it HOB

UTTAngel
01/30/2008, 07:00 PM
well worth it! The 65 pulls so much gunk out and hold your nose when you are emptying the container.. PU it stinks!! I also use it as a HOB, and the tank is literally 3 feet from my bed... not silent but not loud either!

ahullsb
01/30/2008, 07:02 PM
It's an adequate skimmer. But a good choice for the money. I had mine dialed in fairly well until I switched to a euro reef

McTeague
01/30/2008, 07:09 PM
I really like my Coralife 125, highly recommend it.
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b353/kilgore_trout1111/DSC00047-3.jpg

VTGoody22
01/30/2008, 07:23 PM
I have a CSS 65 on a 40g and it pulls out ton of stinky gunk. I would mount the pump intake as close to the water surface as you can.

ledford1
01/30/2008, 07:29 PM
For the money, it's not a bad HOB skimmer. I got my CSS220 used, so an even better deal, and ran it on my 90.

That said, I recently switch to a Bermuda Rogue.

What pushed to to make the switch was that the NW pump shorted out and killed half of my fish. Rather than find a replacement pump, I went on to another skimmer.

jonbry123
01/30/2008, 07:39 PM
This skimmer at best is low to mid level in quality. Having used more than 6 different brands and at one point looked at this brand when I needed to upgrade I did not buy this skimmer. Many posts in RC about this state very difficult to calibrate so that it works. I neither have the time nor inclination to deal with something that may or may not work. I just purchased an AquaC EV400 for my 155gl bow tank, FOWLR. It is just increadable on how it pulls junk out of the tank. Your budget or needs may not warrent this large of a skimmer but I highly recommend you go with a higher end skimmer. IMO it is the most important purchase you will make regardless of what type of tank you have. I also had as mentioned in a previous post the Bermuda Aquatics Rogue skimmer, also excellent. I went with the AquaC only becuase I got a better price for the size i was looking for. I think either brand is of high quality and their patented designs in what makes them work is also unique.

Scott

woogy
01/30/2008, 07:39 PM
I just put one on my tank yesterday and no skimmate yet but I guess it's too early...lots of microbubbles in the tank but I was told this would go away after the break in

McTeague
01/30/2008, 07:45 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11726212#post11726212 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jonbry123
This skimmer at best is low to mid level in quality. Having used more than 6 different brands and at one point looked at this brand when I needed to upgrade I did not buy this skimmer.
So.... The one guy in the thread that gives them a bad review has never actually owned one... :)

JUNI0R
01/30/2008, 08:06 PM
I have the css65 on my 29g, pulls out good amount of gunk but doesn't break the bank, obviously not top of the line but not a pos either.

reefergeorge
01/30/2008, 09:03 PM
My 125 is sitting in the closet. You get what you pay for. They need constant adjustment, and overflow randomly. Most people buy them as a first skimmer so they have nothing to compare it to.
If I were you I would save up for an octopus extreme skimmer.

Larah
01/30/2008, 09:05 PM
HOB=????

Larah
01/30/2008, 09:09 PM
Well it sounds like this is the skimmer for me!
I have a 50 gal FOWLR, so I think this will be adequate.......
I plan to put it in my new sump!
Which is also on order... :)

Deb91
01/30/2008, 09:11 PM
Hang on back. What are you getting for your sump?

Larah
01/30/2008, 09:11 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11725944#post11725944 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by McTeague
I really like my Coralife 125, highly recommend it.
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b353/kilgore_trout1111/DSC00047-3.jpg

Do you have any more photos you can share? I really want to see your tank! :)

baldomero
01/30/2008, 09:13 PM
i have a 220 on my 90 gallon its great

reefergeorge
01/30/2008, 09:26 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11727002#post11727002 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Larah
Well it sounds like this is the skimmer for me!
I have a 50 gal FOWLR, so I think this will be adequate.......
I plan to put it in my new sump!
Which is also on order... :)
If you do get one. Which I don't recommend. Make sure the water level in the skimmer section stays constant.

Larah
01/30/2008, 09:33 PM
I shall..Thanks for the advice!

Logzor
01/30/2008, 09:35 PM
I bought a used one and something happened to the pump. It leaked some kind of oil and nearly crashed my tank. I was lucky to catch it in time. I think the pump overheated and the inner-casing cracked.

Smoke was coming off the top of the water when I tested the pump in a bucket following the incident, just to see how bad the pump was.

I put my hand in (really stupid now that I think about it) the water and I was not shocked.

Be sure to follow the weekly and monthly cleaning instructions and you will be fine.

I called and they replaced the pump with an entirely new skimmer, working great since then. I clean off the tip and the wheel every month or so just to make sure it is not getting stopped up. Make sure to do this.

I recommend this for a HOB temporary solution. If you have a sump save up 300-400 dollars and buy a nice skimmer.

When I get a new tank with a sump I will sell this CSS and get a nice skimmer (wont be for awhile).

Larah
01/30/2008, 09:52 PM
Yikes! Another $300 or $400 dollars! LOL! is there no end to the money I'll spend?? :)
I will perhaps upgrade in a few years or if this one doesn't work out...

Deb91
01/30/2008, 09:57 PM
Larah, I feel left out cause you didn't answer me. :(

Larah
01/30/2008, 10:09 PM
I'm sorry Deb! i didn't see your post! I am gettin the Eshops RS75...
I have very limited space, unfortunately... So it's small size
(18X10X16) it will fit perfectly into the space I have... I plan to make the largest part into a refugium and put the skimmer in the last section....... The guys at the LFS are working with me on gettin' all of the parts and peices worked out...
and you know, I'll be getting more live rock! YAY! More interesting critters!

Larah
01/30/2008, 10:09 PM
Oh and I feellike a dumb a$$ since I didnt' know what a HOB was! LOL! :)

mtodd001
01/30/2008, 10:33 PM
I guess I should give my css65 another try, can't seem to get it dailed in just right. From the looks of the pics posted earlier in the thread, I need more micro bubbles.

Larah
01/30/2008, 10:43 PM
I dunno, but we can experiment ogether! :)
I'll let you know how I make out with mine and you let me know how yours turns out!
though I won't have mine for another few weeks...

mtodd001
01/30/2008, 10:46 PM
ok. I'll try my skimmer tomorrow :rollface:

ahullsb
01/30/2008, 10:52 PM
Larah this skimmer should be fine for quite awhile as you get into the hobby. Save some money, and down the line check craiglist or your local reef club, and you can buy a great used skimmer for not much more than the coralife. I started with the same skimmer, and until you get a heavily stocked tank, it should keep up.

Deb91
01/30/2008, 10:57 PM
I was just playin with ya Larah! You are usually so fast to respond. In the meantime I see a hob??? I started cracking up, I said to myself it's got to be....... and sure enough it was!!! I still don't know what the Eshops RS75 is.I tryed to google it but I couldn't find nothing.

Larah
01/30/2008, 10:58 PM
Thanks! That's a great idea! I do plan to join a reef club here in the portland Oregon area... I tend to forget about Craigslist, I'll be taking alook.... :)

Larah
01/30/2008, 11:00 PM
Hey Deb!
Hmmmm... try Dr.'s Foster and Smith they sell the Eshops RS75...
and yes you can always tell when it's me posting. If it sounds like a dorky noob it's likely to be me, LOL!!! :D ;)

ReefGeekCanada
01/30/2008, 11:22 PM
good skimmer, I got a used one from some dude on this forum and it works amazing and was easy to set up. It is soo expensive to start your 1st reef tank.

Bygkid
01/30/2008, 11:24 PM
Well, from someone that has used the CSS220 for 16 months, it is a great buy for what it can do. I have a 140g mixed reef. 200lbs LR with SPS, LPS, Softies, shrooms, Zoas and 15 fish(including 6" Foxface, 5"Regal tang and 5"yellow Tang). Though I have to run it pretty wet and have had to replace a pump, it has worked great!
It is insump and I keep the pump as close to the top of the water as I can(inside a plastic cereal container). It can be a bit tempermental at first, but once it is tweaked in, it skims some nasty smelling stuff.
Don't get me wrong, there are definitely much better skimmers, but for the money, I don't think it can be matched. Good one to start out with for sure.

Here's what it has done for me this past 16 months...
http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii75/bygkid/PA300013.jpg

And here is a link to the CSS thread. Kind of long, but well worth the read...
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=563298&perpage=25&pagenumber=1

Good luck and will be glad to offer any advice that I have tried with mine.

Scott:strooper:

Larah
01/30/2008, 11:43 PM
Thanks so much Scott! WOW! Your tank is BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!
Congrats!

Bygkid
01/31/2008, 12:02 AM
One thing I can tell you for sure is that the adjustments to dialing it in are not to be small, but micro. Also speaking from experience, the last chamber in the sump will lead to a microbubble storm in the tank. YOu might be able to reduce it by experimenting with the many mods from the above mentioned thread. I don't use the bubble box and it can over flow easily if while it is breaking in or when you add new rock. Some additives can make it go crazy. I know what I can and can't do with mine and though it has been a bit unnnerving at times, I am glad that I started with this skimmer.

Enjoy!
Scott:trooper:

McTeague
01/31/2008, 07:05 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11726937#post11726937 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by reefergeorge
My 125 is sitting in the closet. You get what you pay for. They need constant adjustment, and overflow randomly.
I have had no problems with "overflowing randomly" or "constant adjustment". Mine just works...

I did have to make a custom bubble diffuser to eliminate the micro-bubbles but that was not hard and cost $10 in materials.

Kryptikhan
01/31/2008, 07:13 AM
that water level vs. the pump for the skimmer is one relationship you must observe and tweak until you find the right combo.Took me while but after some tweaking and proper pump placement it just now after three months has been working as it really should. other than that, it's one great value and works like a charm

JoeMomma
01/31/2008, 08:09 AM
I just bought a used CSS220 yesterday for $80. Seemed like a good deal. Gonna try running it in tandem with my AquaC-EV 120!

Larah
01/31/2008, 09:58 AM
What are thesee micro bubbles of which you speak?
and are they bad? Bad as in bad for the occupants of my tank...

Bygkid
01/31/2008, 05:09 PM
Micro bubbles come from the skimmer drain and are normal but a little more in the beginning. The closer to the return the skimmer is, the more that will get to th tank. In most cases, the bubbles are harmless but detract from the DT in large numbers. Some say that they can harm corals, but I have not seen any damage to corals, inverts or fish. Here is my tank when I first had it set up and the skimmer was in sump, near the return pumps.

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii75/bygkid/Tank/PA230410.jpg

I was not using the bubble trap so it was alot early on. It will die back some when it gets broke in.

Scott

Larah
01/31/2008, 05:18 PM
Well that doesn't look bad at all!
Unfortunately I don't think there's another place for me to put the skimmer... I will take a look at putting it outside of the sump (hanging off the sump) and then returning into the first inlet, then the water would proceed to the refugium and then to the last empty chamber.. ( Mind you these are pretty small chambers)...

nattarbox
01/31/2008, 06:20 PM
I ordered the 65 for my first reef tank and it arrived with a cracked rim on the collection cup. Luckily I ordered it from Drs. Foster Smith, and they took care of dealing with the manufacturer to get me a replacement part.

The customer service lady sort of groaned after I told her which of the items in my order was faulty. I got the impression that Coralife (or the company that owns that brand) might not be the easiest to deal with from a service perspective.

I don't have much to contribute on the functionality because I'm waiting for that part and some other stuff to setup my tank.

McTeague
01/31/2008, 06:26 PM
Funny you should say that because my Coralife light broke on Tuesday and I called them and already have received the replacement via next day air today at NO COST to me. So I would say their warranty policy and customer service is EXCELLENT!

Larah
01/31/2008, 06:53 PM
Well thats' good to hear!
Maybe the lady just groaned because she
didn't want to hear about yet another
broken thing or something.. Maybe she had
car problems on the way to work? Or was having a bad day,
ya never know! :D

Bygkid
01/31/2008, 09:41 PM
Larah don't do anything to your original plan. I am just trying to tell you what to expect. I don't know of anything that the micro bubbles would affect long term. It is best that yu go ahead with your original plan until it gets broke in good and you have time to tweak it in. You may have some spillage from the skim cup and it would be best caught in the sump that on your floor or rug.

Be sure and read through the link that I gave you above. I learned alot about the CSS skimmers from that as well as 16 months of actual use.

McTeague- I worked in retail for 25 years and I'm here to tell you that just because they are supposed to be a customer service rep doesn't mean that they 'like' being the rep. She probably just doesn't want to do more than just take orders and get her check.
I have heard of other people that have had to replace their skim cup and they had no problems getting another. You just got the wrong person handling your problem.

Scott

Bygkid
01/31/2008, 09:45 PM
Sorry McTeague, I meant to pass that info to nattarbox