PDA

View Full Version : Black spots on clownfish..?

MrSpiffy
01/30/2008, 07:21 PM
I have a pair of ocellaris clowns, and they just recently started developing some black spots that have increased in number over the past few days or so. Can anyone tell me what these spots are and how to treat them?

I tried doing some searching on Google and noticed that it could possibly be "black spot disease" (sometimes known as "Tang disease"). But I'd rather be sure, as the site I found said that it usually goes away on its own with some increased water changes. But I always look for a second opinion.

Thanks! :)

MrSpiffy
01/31/2008, 11:56 AM
Bumpity-bump! :) Anyone..?

masonicman
01/31/2008, 12:11 PM
Not sure but is it hosting any corals? Reason why I ask this is because my tomato just started hosting my torch coral and he looking a little blackish too on certain part of its body. I think it might come from rubbing against the coral and getting stung. IMO not sure!!

cloak
01/31/2008, 12:13 PM
Do a search on tang turbellarian. Shoud get some good information.

adamn
01/31/2008, 12:53 PM
no one can tell you without pics, it could be black ich, it could be coral stings, it could be something else.

When my clowns had black spots, they were coral stings. They came and went.

J. Montgomery
01/31/2008, 01:06 PM
My guess is coral stings.

teenreefer
01/31/2008, 02:08 PM
Well its pretty common if its just black spots. Is he acting normal? If hes acting normal its just some thing that some clowns get. Clowns live so much longer in the home aquaria then in the wild that they divelp pigment changes from constintly growing it may go away or it may never just give it some time it will be alright its all good.

teenreefer
01/31/2008, 02:12 PM
And many ocellaris clowns get this its not deadly and dosent hurt them.

Andrew
01/31/2008, 02:40 PM
Sounds like a harmless case of Hyper-Melaninization. The dark spots is just the melanin changing colors as it reacts to the coral stings.

lakwriter
01/31/2008, 05:47 PM
could be black ick, maybe. If the spots are near a black stripe, it could be new black color coming in...are the clowns relatively young?

Like everyone else said, it could also be coral/anem stings, too.
Keep an eye on them for a few days and don't do anything. Don't stress them. Observe them closely and ensure that they eat well.

you might also add garlic to their food to help boost their immune system overall.

MrSpiffy
01/31/2008, 09:41 PM
Thanks for the advice, everyone! :) I think, after doing some more reading, that these spots on the pair of clownfish are simply melanistic spots from coral stings. They host in a frogspawn, so it certainly wouldn't surprise me. Otherwise, they seem to be acting perfectly normal, so I'm thinking that's what it is.

Thanks again! Help is always much-appreciated. :)