PDA

View Full Version : Do Peppermint shrimp eat LTA's?

chazlightning
01/30/2008, 10:32 PM
Just introduced an LTA (not sure exactly what kind) earlier tonight and my 3 peppermint shrimp keep picking at it and dragging it around. One nipped off a tentacle before I could actually finish placing it. I had the LTA on a rock in a nice place and it was looking good all by itself until I went down about a half hour after lights out and shined a light in there. The LTA was clear across the tank (75G) upside down and trying to curl up with the shrimp surrounding it with that "hey, it wasn't me!" look.

Should I be concerned that they will kill it? The LTA is about the size of a golfball (if it were to curl into a ball) and the shrimps are between 1.5 inches to 2 inches. I don't have a qt tank right now, I moved it to my office to set up another tank there and it is not cycled yet.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

nam2212
01/30/2008, 11:38 PM
I would remove the shrimp or the anemone. Peppermint shrimp will eat all sorts of things if they are hungry enough. A member in my reef club lost a frogspawn and a few other corals to his peppermints.

bertoni
01/31/2008, 12:14 AM
I've had a peppermint that would eat various corals, too. There are a number of species sold as "peppermint", for that matter. I agree with the removal of one species or the other.

rbtwo4
01/31/2008, 10:45 AM
Yep I lost a frogspawn to my stupid peppermints too! Now I have 2 frogspawns but they don't touch them I don't know why. I figured maybe the frogspawn was no good and they got rid of it as a favor who knows.