PDA

View Full Version : Chaetodon klein and Chaetodon multicinctus

Phoenix19
01/31/2008, 12:53 AM
I was wondering if anyone had any experience with these fish? We have had them at the lfs for about three weeks now. They are eating great and are very active fish. I know that the early winter 2007 / Volume 1 of Reef Hobbyist Magazine recently featured the Klein's Butterfly as an excellent method of aptasia control. Anything else interesting about these fish? I haven't been able to find a lot of information out about the pebbled butterfly.

Billybeau1
01/31/2008, 01:29 AM
All you need to do is just google them both. I found tons of info on both fish. :)

CAreefer
02/11/2008, 06:15 AM
My C. kleini eats anything and everything I put in the tank. Picks a little at my duncan, and the occasional paly. Kind of psychotic at times, gets along with everyone, overall a pretty cool fish.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x255/CAReefer/Reef%20tank/KleinsButterfly1-4-08.jpg

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x255/CAReefer/Fish/KleinsBfly2-9-08.jpg

HTH
CAReefer

Vili_Shark
02/11/2008, 12:42 PM
How are the Kleinis as aiptasia or tulip anemones eater?
Any experience?

Kolognekoral
02/11/2008, 03:31 PM
Marshal, your C. kleinii is still the best I've seen. There were another bunch as the LFS today, but none were half as well marked. I did see two C. vagabundus I may have to go back for, though.

C. pelewensis is generally an easy butterfly, but may go after LPS, tubeworms and Zoos, as well as the Aiptasia and co. There seems to be strong correlation between diet and place of capture. Certain areas and the fish eat more polyped animals than others.

CAreefer
02/11/2008, 03:53 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11819653#post11819653 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Vili_Shark
How are the Kleinis as aiptasia or tulip anemones eater?
Any experience?

The one I have paid aiptasia no attention for a week, and then completely cleared them out of my tank in one day, probably 25 small to medium in total. I had no majano, or glass anenomes.

According to an article I read, they more reliably eat aiptasia than the CBB.

HTH

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11819653#post11819653 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Kolognekoral
Marshal, your C. kleinii is still the best I've seen. There were another bunch as the LFS today, but none were half as well marked.

Thanks Jamie, I got lucky. It's the first one I've seen at my LFS and it was very reasonably priced so I grabbed it. I've seen one since at it wasn't nearly as nice. Luck of the draw I guess.

CAReefer