PDA

View Full Version : Why doesn't my stauber stag want to open up???

reefman13
01/31/2008, 09:36 AM
I purchased a Stauber Frag from a LFS on sunday that seemed to have some dying tissue on the main branch, and since adding it, the polyps have never really opened up.

Setup has been running for one full year this May 1st. Parameters: (as of last night)
Ca: +500
pH: 8.4
PO4: 0.015
Alk: 8 meq/l (I don't know if thats the right way to put it, but according to the Salifert Test kit its perfect...
Mag: +1500
Nitrates: 0
Ammonia: 0

I have got a med. tan stag with neon green polyps, a tricolor something (not even sure of that yet- I rescued it), and an elephant skin coral. I did have a pink digi that seemed to be doing really well, until it dissapeared...

Anyway, what do you guys think...

reefman13
01/31/2008, 06:43 PM
Anyone? All my other corals are happy except this one...

ssavader
01/31/2008, 07:49 PM
Reefman13, do you have a pic?

reefman13
01/31/2008, 08:02 PM
I can in a minute.

Just for reference. The guy I was dealing with, sold it to me with the tissue missing. He said that it didn't happen in his system, and that there was nothing to worry about.

CAreefer
02/01/2008, 08:55 AM
Reefman, the first thing that caught my eye was the imbalance of the elements in your test results. With 8 dKH, your Ca should be between 380 and 425, and Mg should be 1180-1350. The coral may still be trying to adjust to these imbalances. Give it some time, work towards getting things more balanced.

Helpful reading
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-06/rhf/index.php

If you are running a version of the Papallone method, then I believe the alk should also be elevated.

I hope this didn't come off as condescending, that isn't my intention. Just offering what I saw based on the information given.

CAReefer

reefman13
02/05/2008, 08:31 AM
Absolutely not condesending. I have only really been in the hobby for a year, and I need all the help I can get.

I dose about 5ml of the Tropic Marin solutions everyday which I stopped because of the very high numbers in some places.

Where can I find out about the 'Papallone' method.

The stag has started opening up, and seems to be aclimating itself. And it is retaining its colors, so I think it will be okay. But I would really like to get my parameters into check.

ReefWreak
02/05/2008, 08:45 AM
Were you sure to dip it in case the tissue loss was from a parasite?

Always dip new corals.....

Otherwise sometimes it just takes time for corals to heal. I've had acros that couldn't have cared less about being damaged, and usually overgrew any lost tissue in a matter of days. I've also had acros that took a good month or two to cover any lost tissue or receded skin.

Good luck

reefman13
02/06/2008, 05:22 AM
I do not dip any of the corals that I buy. I bought it from a pretty reputable store, so I would be very surprised if it had anything on it...

I think that is something that I am going to start needing to do more often.

al abaqueta
02/06/2008, 09:52 AM
Hey CAreefer, that is a very informative article on reef chemistry. thanks for sharing. Al

CAreefer
02/06/2008, 02:03 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11776677#post11776677 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by reefman13
I do not dip any of the corals that I buy. I bought it from a pretty reputable store, so I would be very surprised if it had anything on it...

I think that is something that I am going to start needing to do more often.

DIP EVERYTHING, FROM EVERYWHERE!

Even the most reputable, online dealers get infestations from time to time. Most are set-up to deal with them. They'll wipe out our tanks. Some of us have learned the hard way. Dip every coral, regardless if it came from an LFS, an Online vendor, or fellow hobbyist.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11776677#post11776677 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> al abaqueta
Hey CAreefer, that is a very informative article on reef chemistry. thanks for sharing. Al

Not a problem. I refer to it often. IMHO, it's important when keeping SPS, to have your head around the balance of Ca, alk and mag.

CAReefer

stony_corals
02/06/2008, 03:29 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11779726#post11779726 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by CAreefer
DIP EVERYTHING, FROM EVERYWHERE!

For a new reefer, this alone will pay significant dividends long term. Please do this, you'll save a lot of time trying to figure out why things aren't growing so well.

I think Marshall was thinking Pappone since your calcium was high relative to your alkalinity. After being in the hobby for a year, I'd suggest focusing on stability. To learn about Pappone, there are thread about the Italian Method, Blu Coral method, etc.

Good luck!