PDA

View Full Version : UVL Super Actinic become weakest after 1000 hours

fishlibrary
01/31/2008, 09:50 AM
My UVL Super Actinic become weakest and without any effect after 1000 hours (90days X 11hours), anybody having this experience.

RokleM
01/31/2008, 10:53 AM
Yes. I've been through probably 6-8 24 and 36". Most are significantly dimmer or almost completely out by 6 months at latest. No where near the quality or lifespan of most other T5's.

gastone
01/31/2008, 11:12 AM
I just ordered some UVL SA T5. How do the Geisseman true actinics compare? Colorwise and longevity?

Garrett.

The Grim Reefer
01/31/2008, 07:52 PM
I've had good luck with mine, I'll throw the PAR meter on it for giggles but its been running since july. It's a 54 watt lamp. Perhaps the shorter lamps have a problem the 48" ones don't????

jennmac415
01/31/2008, 08:23 PM
so what other actinic bulb out there should we use?

Waxxiemann
01/31/2008, 08:27 PM
I have both a Geisseman PA and a UVL SA on my tank right now and I find the UVL to have way more of a purple look to it. I like it, I hope it lasts longer than 90 friggen days though. I need an excuse to get a fiji purple in there though :D

The Geisseman bulbs have been very good to me.

FoothillCorals
01/31/2008, 08:33 PM
I gave up on them. One of my 24 watters lasted about 2 months and the other was very dim buy that same time. My Geissemans are still going 11 months later.

Waxxiemann
01/31/2008, 08:53 PM
bunk. Guess I'll stick with Geisseman or go to KZ then.

DarG
01/31/2008, 09:20 PM
Ive been running a UVL SA 48" T5 for about 5 months now but at 80 watts on Icecap ballast. It's still looking pretty good. Still has a strong impact adding supplemental color to my halides. I run it with a KZ Fiji Purple. I dont have a par meter but periodically, about every 6 weeks or so I clean the spray off of the SLR reflectors and I swap a brand new SA lamp in the Fiji purple position to compare the old lamp with new. I do the same with the Fiji Purple swapping in a new in the SA position.

Last time I did this was about a month ago so the UVL was about 4 months old. The new lamp is brighter but not by much. Color looks about the same as well. I figure that when there is a signifigant enough difference in visual color or intensity then I will swap in a new one ... or 1 year, whichever comes first.

So long way to say that I am getting good life out of mine so far, overdriven.

I wonder ... is it a cooling issue maybe? I aggressively fan cool my lamps along with the water surface for evaporative cooling. I have a large crossflow fan gutted from a floor standing crossflow fan as well as two 7" fans that cool the T5 lamps and endcaps, halides and water surface.

Are your T5's being cooled at all, especially if they are enclosed? Is it a TEK fixture with acrylic shield? What is the mounting arrangement and the cooling?

fishlibrary
02/01/2008, 10:10 AM
My 24" UVL Super Actinic powered by Philips transformer start from day one together with another UVL AquaSun, UVL AquaSun still performing well.
If I change the UVL SA, which D-D tube will be better ?

fishlibrary
02/01/2008, 10:11 AM
I am now using D-D ActinicPlus X 1, UVL AquaSun X 1, KZ FijiPurple X 1 & KZ CoralLight X 1. KZ FP used for temporary replacement of UVL SA.

DarG
02/01/2008, 12:15 PM
Giesemann (D&D) Pure Actinic
ATI True Actinic

Those two are the respective versions of their 420nm bulbs.

They dont quite have the Par of the UVL, which probably doesnt matter. Personally, I think the UVL is a better looking actinic T5.
Doesnt match the VHO version but I think it's close enough when overdriven. Regular HO wattages, all the actinic T5's are less than impressive, IMO.

Maybe UVL had a bad run of SA bulbs? I dont know but I have no complaints with the overdriven UVL Super actinics.

pancho
02/01/2008, 01:10 PM
I've had one bulb go out after 5 months and the other became very dim after 3 months of use. Both were 4 foot bulbs.

trmiv
02/01/2008, 01:29 PM
I'll have to check mine, they have been on the tank for about 4 months. I haven't noticed them being dimmer. 36" bulbs.

RokleM
02/01/2008, 04:31 PM
I don't think it's a bad batch either. I've had issues basically since the beginning with 3-4 separate T5 purchases.

fishlibrary
02/03/2008, 09:16 PM
The problem UVL Super Actinic was replaced by D-D Pure Actinic right now, UVL SA seem to be a little bit deep blue than D-D PA but with the same power to promoting color of SPS after running two days.

Before the discussion, I find I am a unlucky guy. But now, most senior have the same problem.
Do you think such symptom come from the UVL SA production line?

Does D-D PA having the same issue?

The Grim Reefer
02/03/2008, 11:30 PM
I threw the PAR meter on my Super Actinic that has been running since July. It came in at 260. A brand new D&D Pure Actinic was only 256. Obviously my Super Actinic doesn't have any issues. Not sure what the deal is.

jennmac415
02/04/2008, 01:09 PM
Thanks, Grim... mine has been running since Sept., so I would hope that mine has somewhat comparable par....