PDA

View Full Version : What is this? Like a huge nudibranch?

jay24k
01/31/2008, 03:36 PM
I bought some rock from someone about a month ago and I'm putting it now into my prop tank. I had it in my sump. All of a sudden this slimy thing starts moving. It's about 4 inches long and huge.

Any idea what it is? Safe?

http://www.coralmania.com/unknown1.jpg

http://www.coralmania.com/unknown2.jpg

LockeOak
01/31/2008, 03:41 PM
Some kind of flatworm. Whether or not its safe, I have no idea. Definitely don't kill it in the tank, they often contain toxins.

jay24k
01/31/2008, 03:43 PM
Do flatworms get that big? This thing is about half the size of my hand not counting my fingers. It's bigger then most of my fish.

RWillieK
01/31/2008, 03:58 PM
some type of sea hare?

jay24k
01/31/2008, 04:04 PM
I looked up some faqs and it does appear to possibly be one. I dont want to kill it but I can't tell if it is bad.

Gdevine
01/31/2008, 04:17 PM
Put it in your fuge / sump until you can figure out what you got there.

kar93
01/31/2008, 04:32 PM
By the looks of it, I thought it could be some sort of clam eater. If you get them

acrodave
01/31/2008, 05:12 PM
Its a flatworm and i believe that they are safe (don't take my word on the )

mbbuna
01/31/2008, 05:33 PM
its a polyclad flat worm, its a mollusc predator.

acrodave
01/31/2008, 05:39 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11734553#post11734553 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mbbuna
its a polyclad flat worm, its a mollusc predator.

2 part ? one this one ...jay24k have you lost any clams or snails or any thing like that like that .

next ? if jay24k has not lost any mollusk how would it get that big in the tank with no food....mbbuna im not saying your wrong i believe you 100% just asking ?s

ManotheSea
01/31/2008, 06:05 PM
Is your friend who sold you the rock laughing? That thing is not in his tank any more...

It is not a Seahare. I vote for the polyclad. They are toxic. Yours looks like the Hawiian, Caribbean or Red Sea species shown in this link.

http://www.rzuser.uni-heidelberg.de/~bu6/flatintr.htm

2fishy
01/31/2008, 06:09 PM
Wow! That thing looks huge! My son that is 10 just came over, when I said "wow!" and asked if that was a flat worm! I guess he paid attention in science!:lol:

sanababit
01/31/2008, 06:45 PM
that is a polyclad flatworm, i have one still in my tank that i cant catch, it ate my beautiful clam, they are hard to spot because they are so thin and they look like the rock they are on, they also prey on snails

jay24k
01/31/2008, 08:15 PM
It was in my sump so never in my main tank. I put it in my prop tank which won't have any clams at all. I barely noticed it. I'll just poke aroudn the rocks and maybe see if someone in my area wants it. I haven't lost any clams since it was in my sump.

jay24k
01/31/2008, 08:21 PM
I did some searches on that polyclad flatworm and that is it. Guess I'll find it and toss it. I'd rather not ever have to worry about it.

techreef
02/01/2008, 07:28 AM
yeah, you don't want this in your tank. they eat snails just as much as clams. i fished one out of my tank after 9 months.

2fishy
02/01/2008, 10:00 AM
Too bad you couldn't donate it to a science class. That would be cool!

jay24k
02/01/2008, 11:02 AM
I could call the school and see if they would want it but I doubt they would.

jay24k
02/01/2008, 06:15 PM
Bad news is I cant find the joker now. Would a 1 minute FW dip kill it or flush it out? It's in my prop tank which has nothing in it. I did put a snail upside down with the lights off and I'll check on it.

sanababit
02/01/2008, 11:08 PM
that will work, check with all lights out, it will come out, use a fork to catch it btw, spear that little sucker, good luck

sana

flyyyguy
02/02/2008, 12:56 AM
man...i wish you lived closer...i want it.

TheFishhead
02/02/2008, 03:59 AM
Hey Jay24k,

I'm interested in that flatworm. I live in Miami, so shipping would be pretty easy, and I'd be happy to pay for shipping and your effort-

I hope you can find it again and that you don't kill it-

Have you ever seen one of these swim? It is like a Spanish dancer- mesmerizing.

You can reach me at [email protected]

Sincerely,

Julian Sprung

LobsterOfJustice
02/02/2008, 10:06 AM
I saw one of these in a display in an LFS where I used to live. It looked like a puddle of molten metal, gooping along the rock (like my new word?). It would goop right over a snail and engulf it.

andrewkw
02/02/2008, 10:35 AM
These guys are PURE EVIL. I've had at least a dozen of them maybe more. They ate my baby maxima clam, never touched my bigger crocea clam but have killed many snails and even killed my sand dollar. I figured oh the sand dollar died my system couldn't support it then I picked it up and there were 3 of these guys on the bottom eating it!

They are immune to flatworm exit and tropic pro coral cure has no effect on them either. Freshwater seems to be the best way to kill them. Look under other rocks in your pop tank where there is one there is likely many. Every once in a while I pick up rocks in my tank just to check for more. Manual removal seems to be the only way to rid yourself of them.

jay24k
02/02/2008, 12:01 PM
I can't find it but if I do, I will ship it to you. Anyway to bait it out? I tried putting a snail upside down for half the day yesterday with the lights off. No dice so I put the snail back in my main tank.

I'd rather not kill it but I didn't think anyone would want it. It's a pretty big one and I must admit, it is pretty mezmerizing(sp).

flyyyguy
02/02/2008, 12:05 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11747448#post11747448 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jay24k

I must admit, it is pretty mezmerizing(sp).

when you catch the thing. piut it in a bowl of tankwater and swirl it. You will see one of the coolest things you have ever seen a invertebrate do.

If you happen to see it go into a rock.....simply pull the rock ouit...submerge it in a bucket of tankwater and take powerheads and start blowing on a set of holes opposite where he is or blowing on the crevice he is hiding in and he will come out and drop into the bucket. you can get him out without stabbing or tearing him this way

and then give it to mr sprung instead of ME :( :)

jay24k
02/02/2008, 12:07 PM
I read that they can get into rocks but do they generally stay under the rock in the sand or just hidden from the light but still out in the open?

I've read they are sexual so require another one to reproduce. That rock was in my main tank sump so I'm not worried about more than one. Also, I've got a huge12-14" squamosa in my tank so I think I would notice if it someone got to my tank.

kathainbowen
02/02/2008, 12:17 PM
*jaw drops*

Mr Sprung actually hangs out on RC from time to time.... seriously?

*dies*

I saw one ages ago, but never saw it swim.... Jay24K, if it swims before you send it to him, you seriously have got to put it up on youtube and link it here!

mbbuna
02/02/2008, 12:30 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11747448#post11747448 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jay24k
I can't find it but if I do, I will ship it to you. Anyway to bait it out? I tried putting a snail upside down for half the day yesterday with the lights off. No dice so I put the snail back in my main tank.

I'd rather not kill it but I didn't think anyone would want it. It's a pretty big one and I must admit, it is pretty mezmerizing(sp).

it could be some time before it needs to feed again. i would get some live clams from the market and throw them in where it is and just keep looking for it at night

jay24k
02/02/2008, 12:33 PM
In the previous place it was, there was no snails or clams to feed on. THe only thing there was about 20 pounds of rock. There wasn't even light. Maybe the live part from the supermarket might work. Thanks for the suggestion.