PDA

View Full Version : Solano 34gal

YankyTexan
01/31/2008, 05:38 PM
Don't know why I bother to "attempt" to utilize the search function . . . the server is always too busy.

Thus my post/question (if this topic has already been discussed previously please accept my appology in advance) any firsthand experience with the Solano 34 gal? Specifically 1) is the stock skimmer sufficient 2) any tank over heating issues with your selected lighting method 3) what light system would you recommend 4) does the auto top-off system work 5) is there adequate circulation with the stock pump and finally 6) would you purchase the tank again?

My wife has basically taken over my 150 gal Marineland FOWLR and thus I am considering adding another tank.

Thank you in advance for your insights and perspectives.

friedrice2841
02/04/2008, 01:56 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11734093#post11734093 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by YankyTexan
Don't know why I bother to "attempt" to utilize the search function . . . the server is always too busy.

Thus my post/question (if this topic has already been discussed previously please accept my appology in advance) any firsthand experience with the Solano 34 gal? Specifically 1) is the stock skimmer sufficient 2) any tank over heating issues with your selected lighting method 3) what light system would you recommend 4) does the auto top-off system work 5) is there adequate circulation with the stock pump and finally 6) would you purchase the tank again?

My wife has basically taken over my 150 gal Marineland FOWLR and thus I am considering adding another tank.

Thank you in advance for your insights and perspectives.

I recently purchased a Solana 34.
It is the first tank I have had in about 15 years. I will try to answer your questions with my limited knowledge.

1) The skimmer seems to be sufficient (I empty it about once a week)
2) I choosed the Sunpod HQI 150watt w/led moonlights and led white lights. I ended up installing a heater in the return resovior, and buying a 4 fan clip on unit to cool the water. I quit using the glass top that came with it (temp got to around 85). After losing one clown fish, I made a top out of eggcrate.
3) Unless you are in love with the "disco ball" pendant light, I would choose the Sunpod. I think the coverage is better, the footprint is smaller, and the Sunpod comes with moonlight leds.
4) The auto topoff works well. I have to top off the bottles every 1.5 days.
5) Circulation: I installed a Koralia Nano and Koralia 1 to improve the circulation. I am trying to keep a few softies and some fish. I will probably switch out the Nano for another Koralia 1 to improve the flow.
6) I would buy the tank again. I am happy with the purchase I made. It is just my opinion that with any "all in one" tank you will have to buy a few more things. I like the look, the lighting options, and the ease of this tank more than the others.

Hope that helps! I can send you some pics, once I figure out how to take some good shots.

mikeyj28
02/10/2008, 08:16 AM
i have the Solana 34 as well.
1. the skimmer works very well
2. i choosed the 150watt MH "disco ball" and it works wonderful. I have no heat issues at all its at 78-79 degrees all the time. I have a small 25watt heater in the back set low. I do not need fans or a chiller.
3. depending on what you are going to keep thats your choice for the light you need.
4. the top off does work well. The bottles come with caps with a small hole in it to drain into the tank. I took the caps off for faster top off. I take the glass top off durring lighting hours and put it back on at night seems to hold the heat in at night.
5. I use the koralia 2 but i keep SPS
6. Yes very happy with the tank looks good would buy it again, hope they have a bigger size soon