PDA

View Full Version : Your thoughts on used tank?

Jhigga15
01/31/2008, 08:52 PM
Hello I am looking to buy this tank and all for 200 bucks...I would like to get a reef going. is this a good deal and what else may I need...
Thanks...

55 gallon aquarium (no holes in bottom)
Black Stand with Gold Handle on Door
48" All Glass Aquarium Reflector (single bulb)
One 50/50 used bulb probably has about 2 months left
One brand new Blue bulb
Cascade 700 Canister Filter
All filter inside are new, plus add'l bio floss for future replacement
Left over salt, food, and chemicals
Saltwater testing kit, has about 300 tests left
Salinity Tester
Mag Float Aquarium Cleaner
Penguin 550 Powerhead
300 Watt heater
Siphon Hose
Light Timer
Power Strip
Net

drama07
01/31/2008, 08:59 PM
if the seller used chemicals of some sort inside the tank then don't buy it unless you are a risk-taker. I point this out because it says chemicals on your list.

Don't know if it is true but heard silicone absorbs traces of additives added to the water in a tank. However I think someone else can clear this thing up for ya:)

orbit
01/31/2008, 09:17 PM
you might want to double check and see if the tank has ever been treated with copper,

i think once the tank has copper in it, you basically cant use that that tank for reef anymore,

Jhigga15
01/31/2008, 09:22 PM
good points...

Jhigga15
02/01/2008, 06:54 AM
but it would be ok for a fish only tank?

cczarnik
02/01/2008, 07:09 AM
Also check very, very carefully for leaks, I just bought a used tank in "excellent" condition for top dollar, drove 300 miles each way to pick it up, and found a leak when I got home. Chuck

Sk8r
02/01/2008, 08:12 AM
Reefs use specialized lights and use no filters at all. Fish-only tanks can use filters.

The *best* tank to get would be what's called a Reef-ready tank, ie, pre-drilled for the connections and hoses that enable a sump...and to get one that you know has only been used for salt water.

Before you bite on this one, take a look at the aquapod and aquacube: no drilling, no sump [the downside] but they contain all the equipment you DO need, like a skimmer---

Less gallons, but more useful gear. And in that price range. Take a look at our sponsors list, above.

And don't discount the Used Equipment forum on RC: sometimes you can score major pieces or whole systems from somebody that has too much gear in their garage.

I would also suggest you read the * thread at the top of this forum and be sure what you do and don't need to set up a successful marine tank.

Jhigga15
02/01/2008, 09:21 AM
I have a 14 G Bio Cube that is going nice, I just want to go a bit bigger...

dsn112
02/01/2008, 11:07 AM
IMO if your going to buy a tank over 30g, it should be 75g RR or larger. Just for a convenience and better overall experience. My new tank is reef ready and it has been much more enjoyable to work on, and much more stable also.