PDA

View Full Version : Question about replacing or reusing trickle filter media

kissmeplenty
02/01/2008, 07:10 AM
Hi everyone. Another newbie here with a startup question. :p This is my first post but I'm sure there will be many more. I am setting up a used tank and am not sure whether to re-use the existing filter material in the crv 1000 wet/dry trickle or to start fresh and replace it.
The tank is a 90 gallon glass that was previously used for saltwater fish and had live rock along with crushed coral for the substrate. It was running up until about a month ago.
So I am preparing to reset it up and I am not sure if I should reuse the media (a floss type I think) or if I should start fresh. I know the bacteria is important but after sitting around dry for a month I'm not sure if it's best to use it or to replace it. Also if I reuse it will I expose my tank to any issues the previous tank had? Hope this makes sense lol and thank you to all of you in advance for your advice.
Joanne

Sk8r
02/01/2008, 09:28 AM
Get rid of the substrate. Get rid of the material in the wet/dry and do not replace it.
Run diluted white vinegar in the whole system and wipe it down.

Reefs don't use filters at all. IMHO if you are going to use a filter [fish only tanks can but may not need to] you should get a cannister type or an easy-clean sort, because you have to clean it weekly, without fail.

Why filters are a problem: sand and rock contain bacteria that can break detritus down to nothing but nitrogen gas. Other elements, like amino acids, must be removed by a skimmer [another piece of equipment.] Filters stop detritus and never break it down: it lies there until removed. Worse, it generates nitrate: this is not good stuff. Corals hate it. Fish had rather not have it.
Read the * thread at the top of the forum for detailed information on setup. You will need live rock, aragonite sand, and ro/di water.

Aquarist007
02/01/2008, 09:56 AM
[welcome]

I agree with sk8r(when don't I)
Do you have a protein skimmer--if so that is all the mechanical filtration you need the biological filtration comes from the live rock and substrate as sk8r said

I wouldn't get rid of the wet dry--I would gut it like sk8r said and run only carbon in it.

kissmeplenty
02/01/2008, 04:34 PM
Thank you both for your advice. Today I was told at a good pet store to replace it with new media but he did not suggest leaving the bilological filter out.
I do not have a protien skimmer yet but it will be my next purchase for sure.
The tank was using crushed coral for substrate before but it was suggested today that sand is easier as you don't have to clean it and it serves the same purpose. So I am switching to sand as I do remember from my freshwater tank how tedious it is cleaning gravel.
I am taking it very slowly and reading all I can before I even put the r/o water in it.
I have 60 lbs of previously live figi rock that I plan on using and buying live rock to add to it.
I thought the more bilogical media you had the more benefical bacteria would grow. I did not realize the rocks and sand would be enough bacteria wise. Thank you for that advice.
Now I need to decide on what kind of tank as of course the fish I like aren't capatible with the anemones etc I'm interested but isn't that always the way? :)

Aquarist007
02/01/2008, 06:29 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11741192#post11741192 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kissmeplenty
Thank you both for your advice. Today I was told at a good pet store to replace it with new media but he did not suggest leaving the bilological filter out.
I do not have a protien skimmer yet but it will be my next purchase for sure.
The tank was using crushed coral for substrate before but it was suggested today that sand is easier as you don't have to clean it and it serves the same purpose. So I am switching to sand as I do remember from my freshwater tank how tedious it is cleaning gravel.
I am taking it very slowly and reading all I can before I even put the r/o water in it.
I have 60 lbs of previously live figi rock that I plan on using and buying live rock to add to it.
I thought the more bilogical media you had the more benefical bacteria would grow. I did not realize the rocks and sand would be enough bacteria wise. Thank you for that advice.
Now I need to decide on what kind of tank as of course the fish I like aren't capatible with the anemones etc I'm interested but isn't that always the way? :)

you are off to a great start
it is a good idea to use a quality argonite rather then crushed coral for reasons you said and it does become nitrate and phosphate traps.
The reason for not using other media like foam filters and bioballs is that eventually they get gummed up and become nitrate and phosphate sources themselves,
This is why a protein filter is the best choice--you actually remove the nitrates and phosphates, organics etc from your system when you empty the collection cup

kissmeplenty
02/02/2008, 09:24 AM
Thanks. I bought 90 lbs of argonite sand yesterday along with 25 lbs of live argonite sand to replace the coral. What if I threw the coral in the wet/dry instead of other media along with some carbon? Would that increase good bacteria without causing nitrates etc? Or is it the same idea that it will gum up eventually? Just curious :). I guess the added weight is a consideration too if I have coral and sand.
Any recommendations for decent skimmer for a 90 gallon? There are so many choices and opinions I'm having a hard time deciding on one. Also cost and ease of use would be factors. i don't want to skimp but I don't want to get sucked in at the store either. Thanks for your help!

Sk8r
02/02/2008, 10:49 AM
An Aqua C EV series would do well for you. There are many good choices. Get a skimmer rated for 2x your tank volume and you'll be much happier.
Putting live rock in the wet/dry area is an option: depending on how much water you can get in that section, cheato algae with a strong light 24/7 might be another option.

Put your rock on eggcrate lighting grid [Lowe's] and then add Aragonite sand to it; water the tank and set your live rock atop the base rock.

WHat are your lights like? T5 to MH, keep most any coral; less, lower light stony to softie. Fish ok with corals, but be sure they're not coral eaters.

Typical reef system: 3-4" deep Aragonite sandbed, all dry is perfectly fine, live rock, no filters, not even a filter sock on the outflow if you're trying to run a fuge. No sponges, no check on the water flow; pretty good skimmer; feed only frozens---keeps the phosphate down.

Fuge: 'live plant' area where live plants suck up any loose phosphate and make it so you don't have to scrape algae; make it so your corals are happier, too, and your fish have more oxygen.

Aquarist007
02/03/2008, 10:26 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11746169#post11746169 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kissmeplenty
Thanks. I bought 90 lbs of argonite sand yesterday along with 25 lbs of live argonite sand to replace the coral. What if I threw the coral in the wet/dry instead of other media along with some carbon? Would that increase good bacteria without causing nitrates etc? Or is it the same idea that it will gum up eventually? Just curious :). I guess the added weight is a consideration too if I have coral and sand.

just run carbon in the wet/dry--nothing else--take all the other material out.

kissmeplenty
02/03/2008, 11:24 AM
Thanks guys. I've been cleaning everything with diluted vinegar all weekend getting things prepared. Slow going :) ! I'm sure i'll be posting another question soon!

jonbry123
02/03/2008, 02:07 PM
I definitely agree with the recommendation on the AquaC skimmer in the previous post. I just bought one an EV400 and it is an increadable skimmer. You won't go wrong with this brand. Realize that it will mean a bit of $$$ but as you will find the investment into a more expensive piece of equipment will mean less money spent down the road do to loss of your animals becuase the quality of your water was not where it should be.

Scott