PDA

View Full Version : Critique My Tank Setup, Please :)

cbrguy
02/01/2008, 09:17 AM
I am in the process of building a new system. I am upgrading from my red sea max to a 120. How do you feel about this setup??

I am unsure about the skimmer and the lighing. I would like to have a simple lighting setup that is plug and play and looks nice hanging above the tank.

Oceanic Ultimate Starphire 120
30 Gal Sump

Aqua Medic Ocean Light T5/MH
http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=AM-75046&Category_Code=Oceanlight-T5

Return Pump IWAKI 70RLT
http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=IWMD-70RLT&Category_Code=Iwaki

Chiller (JBJ 1/3) HP
http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=JBJ-DBM-250&Category_Code=JBJ

Calcium Reactor (GEO 618)
http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=PA-GEO618HD&Category_Code=Crpackage

Skimmer (Euroreef RC180) Or Deltec AFP600
http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=EURO-RC180&Category_Code=EURO

Ozonizer - RedSeq 200 Mg
http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=RED-Aquazone200&Category_Code=ozoneunits

dsn112
02/01/2008, 09:46 AM
looks pretty awesome to me, both skimmers are good, deltec if you can afford it do it.

Get 2 vortechs for flow and your all set!

mcliffy2
02/01/2008, 10:44 AM
For the cash you are about to plunk down on a skimmer, go for a reeflo 200 or the ATB nano. (You wont go wrong with deltec or euroreef tho). I second adding a couple vortechs.

cbrguy
02/01/2008, 11:27 AM
Great! Thank you for the info. Those Vortechs are awesome!

dsn112
02/01/2008, 11:31 AM
Yea they are, I have one in My 70 and it rips it up. I see you are local to me, I work in Plymouth Meeting.

SDguy
02/01/2008, 11:58 AM
You don't need a 200 mg/hr ozonizer for this system...100 should be enough, even heavily stocked....

cbrguy
02/01/2008, 01:15 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11738979#post11738979 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by SDguy
You don't need a 200 mg/hr ozonizer for this system...100 should be enough, even heavily stocked....

My plan was to get it for the 120 then use it for a 220 when I move. Would the 100 work on the 220?

I use to work pretty close to plymouth meeting too. I am about 45 minutes from there now.

sjames
02/01/2008, 01:32 PM
why such a big return pump? your sump is gonna be a vortex. :>

cbrguy
02/01/2008, 01:39 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11739729#post11739729 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by sjames
why such a big return pump? your sump is gonna be a vortex. :>

I think that each overflow drains at 600 GPH? So I would need to return at least 1200 GPH to the tank minus any head loss.

Do you think that I should use a smaller pump. I really wasn't sure on that part.

Chris2500DK
02/01/2008, 01:44 PM
The overflows only drain what the return pump puts into the tank, but of course up to a limit (which seems to be 600 GPH for you). That doesn't mean you have to match that limit, just that you can't go over it.

sjames
02/01/2008, 01:45 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11739773#post11739773 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by cbrguy
I think that each overflow drains at 600 GPH? So I would need to return at least 1200 GPH to the tank minus any head loss.

Do you think that I should use a smaller pump. I really wasn't sure on that part.

personally i would try and match my sump flow to my skimmer rateing. not alot of sense sending more water through the sump than the skimmer can process. plus insump skimmers usually work better with less turbulet flow in the sump.

arts007
02/01/2008, 01:48 PM
You can always throttle back the flow if you need to, Im running an ocean runner 6500 that is 1700gph at 0' and the flow is not turbulent thru the sump, on my 120g with a 40g breeder sump

sjames
02/01/2008, 02:08 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11739827#post11739827 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by arts007
You can always throttle back the flow if you need to, Im running an ocean runner 6500 that is 1700gph at 0' and the flow is not turbulent thru the sump, on my 120g with a 40g breeder sump

sure but why pay for the electricy to run a bigger pump if your just gonna throttle it back? (if you do go this way make sure you install a gate valve on the return side of the pump to regulate the flow)

also your pump isnt pressure rated so your flow is likly much less than 1700gph. less than 1000 im guessing depending on static head height and how its plumbed.

cbrguy
02/01/2008, 02:15 PM
Ok so I think that the Iwaki MD 40RLXT would be a nice fit then. It's 1200 GPH @ 4'. On my last system I had a TON of micro bubbles and I would like to avoid that, so I will go with less flow and make up for if with a closed loop or those vortechs.

I was looking at the differences in pumps should I use a pressure rated pump or the circulation pump?

gimmito
02/02/2008, 10:33 PM
The great thing about the vortechs is you can use it for the 120 and 220. How many things can we say about that in this hobby ?

mcliffy2
02/02/2008, 11:07 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11740048#post11740048 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by cbrguy
Ok so I think that the Iwaki MD 40RLXT would be a nice fit then. It's 1200 GPH @ 4'. On my last system I had a TON of micro bubbles and I would like to avoid that, so I will go with less flow and make up for if with a closed loop or those vortechs.

I was looking at the differences in pumps should I use a pressure rated pump or the circulation pump?

pressure rated are for if you have to pump the water a long way (like if you have the sump in your basement and tank on another floor), no reason to get them unless you have a situation like that.

What did you decide about the skimmer?

cbrguy
02/03/2008, 07:53 AM
I think I am going to go with the Deltec. I like that the Euroreef is cheaper, but from what I've read the pump is not ozone safe. I might hold off on the Ozone though for a while so I can justify the cost of the vortech with the battery backup.

:)

BRISK495
02/03/2008, 11:30 AM
looking good Steve...I have a very similar setup as you. I have 2 vortechs (w/ battery backup). Things I would recommend are 2 lumenarc 3's. Those are worth every penny. Not sure though if you can put in wall...even if they hang, I feel they are very "clean" looking. Plus the light won't spill out. As far as supplementation, I am really learning that you dont need it, and the colorals are looking great (saw Sanjays /PSUtank in May as proof!)The Geo is great and well worth it. I defintely recommend the upgrade to a better regulator like you are looking at. The milwaukee was really a pain....Here's a pic from about a month ago, a day or two after I got things set up... Chris (your ole SV-SEA pal)

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y27/brisk495/120%20Gallon/DSCF0865.jpg

cbrguy
02/03/2008, 12:18 PM
Hey Chris! You're in Jersey now?

I really like those Lumenarc's, but are they prewired? I hate dealing with installing my own ballast? I remember with my old tank I worried about them all of the time :) since you don’t have any supplemental lighting, do you run them for 12 hours instead of 8?

The lighting that I was looking at has poor reflectors and that was one of my concerns.

Also, are you using a Deltec skimmer and may I ask what type of sump you are using?

Steve...

BRISK495
02/05/2008, 04:21 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11754370#post11754370 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by cbrguy
Hey Chris! You're in Jersey now?

I really like those Lumenarc's, but are they prewired? I hate dealing with installing my own ballast? I remember with my old tank I worried about them all of the time :) since you don’t have any supplemental lighting, do you run them for 12 hours instead of 8?

The lighting that I was looking at has poor reflectors and that was one of my concerns.

Also, are you using a Deltec skimmer and may I ask what type of sump you are using?

Steve...

Hey Steve....Yep, I moved to S. NJ. Not far from the PA though at all. As far as the Luminarcs, they are prewired. You can put 175, 250 400 or even 1000w in the prewired sockets. You will need to buy the ballast seperately. As far as running them, I run them about 7-8 hours total. Sometimes longer if I want to view the tank earlier in the day. But 8 hours has been plenty light for my tank....I even shut them off for a whole day once in awhile. This is to simulate nature (cloudy day on the reef) Read somewhere and I always notice corals are super happy the next day!

The skimmer is a custom Orca skimmer....the sump is 30 + gallons...I bought it from Bryan in our club. I am part of DelVal...I see you are too? Maybe see you at a a meeting??

Jim_S
02/05/2008, 04:55 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11752778#post11752778 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by cbrguy
I think I am going to go with the Deltec. I like that the Euroreef is cheaper, but from what I've read the pump is not ozone safe. I might hold off on the Ozone though for a while so I can justify the cost of the vortech with the battery backup.

:)

Both skimmer pumps are okay with ozone use. However, with ALL things, ozone use will eventually start to cause plastic to deteriorate.

Also keep in mind the Deltec is much smaller than that ER, and the aquabee pump it uses is in many ways inferior to the eheim pump in terms of longevity and noise level. The larger Deltecs also come with eheim pumps, and if you were comparing the two eheim powered models, its just a matter of personal opinion on which is better. However, when comparing an eheim driven skimmer to an AB driven skimmer, there is no question which is better.

I was also looking into Iwaki's when I rebuilt my 125. Iwaki pumps are nice, but the Panworld pumps are quieter. Almost the same design too.

Jim

Paulairduck
02/05/2008, 05:35 PM
Look into the reeflo snapper, produces more flow than the iwaki, is not the power hog that the Iwaki is and transfers a lot less heat!!

I just replaced my Iwaki 40 MD-rxlt with a snapper, my power bill thanks me!!!

cbrguy
02/05/2008, 05:38 PM
I still have to sign up for the club, and I won't be able to make the 23rd meeting :( I am sure I'll be at the one after that though. I will be desperate for some frag so hopefully some people will have them for sale :)

All of my equipment will arrive tomorrow. I got the tech series tank with the the ER RC180 skimmer it was only 799 so I figured I would just get it. I am skipping the Ozone and I got a Vortech with the battery. And I got the 618 Reactor. I can't wait to setup a normal tank :) This red sea max is driving me crazy.

Steve...