PDA

View Full Version : Actinic supplementation with 400W MHs

ROR
02/01/2008, 12:44 PM
Anyone using actinic supplementation with 400W metal halide lights. So far I've only had my T5s come on in the morning and evening for dawn/dusk, but with my new MH bulbs I'd like a touch more blue. I have 2- 56W Actinic Plus T5s, and I can't see any difference at all when I turn them on with my halides on. Would a true actinic bulb show up at all, or are 400W lights too strong for supplementation? I don't want to waist $60 on actinic bulbs if they won't do anything.

Thanks
Rob

DarG
02/01/2008, 12:53 PM
Best bet is the blue bulbs like the ATI Blue Plus. Highest par of the blue bulbs and definitely more effective at coloring the halides than a pure actinic or actinic plus type bulbs. But dual 400 watt halides are tough. No guarantee that the 2 Blue Plus T5's will be enough either. Better chance if you overdrive them to 80 watts each with Icecap ballast. Good chance if you add 2 more T5's.

Why not just go with bluer 400 watt halides.

BTW, I use two overdriven 4 foot T5's with dual 250 watt halides. Works fine, plenty of impact on the color. But most 400 watt halides have alot more par than most 250's.

ROR
02/01/2008, 01:14 PM
I'm using Giesemann Actinic+ which is pretty much the same as a ATI Blue+. I like the look of the new bulbs, and might put up with the lower blue intensity because all the other colors look great under them.

They've only been on for 3 days, so who knows, maybe in a couple of weeks the color may be perfect (hopefully).

DarG
02/01/2008, 01:24 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11740036#post11740036 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ROR
I'm using Giesemann Actinic+ which is pretty much the same as a ATI Blue+. I like the look of the new bulbs, and might put up with the lower blue intensity because all the other colors look great under them.

They've only been on for 3 days, so who knows, maybe in a couple of weeks the color may be perfect (hopefully).

Gotcha. If those T5's dont do it, the pure actinics certianly wont. The dont have the par of the blue bulbs.

Good luck.

ksed
02/01/2008, 03:38 PM
DarG

I believe you are running the LumenMax 3 which all ready have a glass shield. Just an opinion, I'm running 2x400 LumenMax 2 SE which I think most people don't have glass shields on SE reflectors. The Lumen Max 2 have a provision to put a shield, Which I was thinking of adding just to protect the bulb from any water spashing etc.Whats your take on that.
How much light reduction would that have.
Do you know anything about Lumenarc having a special coating on the reflector which if you get salt spray on it , it won't corrode like the Lumenmax.
Thanks.

DarG
02/01/2008, 04:08 PM
I didnt realize that the Lumenmax corroded , then again mine never get spray with the shield. I dont know anything about the Lumenarcs corrosion resistance. I imagine that any reflector is going to stain and eventually corrode if they are not atleast cleaned of the salt every so often. Icecap SLR's are supposed to be resistant but it didnt take long for some discoloration spots from salt spray. Havent had any more since I started using SS cleaner/polish on the reflectors every few months. But obviously some will hold up better than others. Anyway ... loss with the shield for DE lamps is around 10 - 20% I think which would vary with type and thickness of the glass. So, loss should be about the same with a shield for SE lamps.

ROR
02/01/2008, 04:29 PM
If you get minor corrosion you can polish it out with mag polish. I did this on my T5 reflectors and it worked well. My Lumenmax reflectors are far enough off the water that it isn't an issue.