PDA

View Full Version : Algea question I should already know.

SquidHC
02/01/2008, 05:46 PM
I got some rock on trade from another guy locally. He warned me that it had a tiny bit of green bubble algea on it. When I got it home and looked at it carefully and realized there were tiny little green bubbles all over the rock. Its still in the bucket I got it in. It has a lid on it. I have been shaking it daily, but it has no powerhead or anything. I dont have any of this algea in my tank and would like to clear it up so I dont. Whats the best way to eliminate it?

riseandfloat
02/01/2008, 05:59 PM
I would manually remove it with tweezers.

jonbry123
02/01/2008, 06:09 PM
I would definitely remove with tweezers as already mentioned, BUT, spores will be in the water and will infest your tank. I got some awhile back and ended up having to take all the rock out of the tank and soke in water/bleach to get ride of. IT WILL TAKE OVER YOUR TANK. I would recommend you do this even if it is live rock. Better to lose a few critters than have your tank taken over by this incedious weed. I only say this from experience.

Scott

SquidHC
02/01/2008, 07:32 PM
Yeah, this is like 3 pieces of live rock I don't really care about. Its not in my tank, its in a bucket. You cant remove them with tweezers. There TINY. Im just gonna scrub the hell out of the rock with a wire brush and some super hot water, then let it sit in the dark bucket with no water for a few weeks. Scrub again, then Ill see. This should kill it off eh?

jonbry123
02/01/2008, 07:56 PM
OMG, I can't tell you how this algae can survive. I took all the LF out of my tank becuase it got so bad and scrubbed until I couldn't see any more than put into a trash can w/clorox and water outside for a week. Would you believe when I put the rock back into the tank within a month I had it back again. Granted some of the spores were in the tank and that is probably where it came from but definitely make sure the rock is cleaned. I tried emerald crabs and even my tangs and couldn't get ride of it. Finally I took all the rock out and cleaned it, what a pain, but it's gone. Some one else may have a better idea on how to get ride of it but I didn't. Part of my problem was I think not having a good skimmer so I upgraded to an Aqua C and have not had any more of this menace. Sorry if I sound so adament about this algae but in all years of having FO and reef tanks I never dealt with something so bad.