PDA

View Full Version : Green stars

chef.lewis
02/01/2008, 08:15 PM
I recently picked up a green star polyp frag from the lfs. It was doing great in the lfs. I asked what sg it was at and got 23, well I'm at sg 24.
I only acclimated for a while (20 min.) I did not check the sg. from the store myself, and when I put the frag in it was open for a while and then it closed... never to re-open. I thought it might not like the 400 W halide so I put it in a shadier spot, still not open. It has been a week and I havn't noted any necroses, only slight dissapation of tissue. Does anybody think there is any hope for my star polyps?

Lotus99
02/01/2008, 11:41 PM
They can take a while to open up. Is there a lot of tissue recession?

chef.lewis
02/02/2008, 01:07 AM
No, not much at all, but they are closed up tight.

stingythingy45
02/02/2008, 01:55 PM
Something is wrong.
That stuff grows like a weed.I took a frag of just the mat and super glued it to a shell(out of the water) and it's fully open and thriving.
What are you checking SG with?
Are there any other corals in the tank(area).

lancer99
02/02/2008, 04:10 PM
Agreed with ST...GSPs are pretty much bullet-proof, and the change in SG wouldn't hurt them.

Without any more details on your tank parameters, I can only suggest that you increase the flow. They love high flow.

HTH,
-R

chef.lewis
02/02/2008, 05:05 PM
I check specific gravity with a hydrometer.
There are mucho xenia, healthy growing brian, healthy growing open brain, healthy frogspawn, feather dusters, healthy zoas, yellow gorgonia that is growing and spreading, some sponges, bta, 3 fish and a clean-up crew.
Nitrate is barely detectable .02?
nitrite 0
ph 8.4
dkh 9.1
calcium 480
didn't check for phosphate but don't have any algea probs.
I have a fuge with differant macros and a sea urchin in it.
I will put the gsp in a high flow area to see what happens.
Looks to me like I may have an imbalanced alk/calcium ratio.
any further input will be much apreciated.

chef.lewis
02/02/2008, 05:14 PM
By the way thank you for your input!

Reef Central seems to me to be a great thing!
As far as the other corals none can physically touch the GSP with sweepers or anything like that, except maybe a zoanthid but it's a stretch.

I'm hopeing either there is nothing wrong and they are just adjusting or it is a simple chem level adj. that will make the gsp happy and everybody else even happier!

stingythingy45
02/02/2008, 05:25 PM
Your alk/calcium ratio are fine.All your parameters are fine.
Maybe 400 watts of halide shocked it.
Mine is under PC lighting.

chef.lewis
02/02/2008, 05:39 PM
I think I might put it in the fuge under pc's if nothing happens in a day or so.
Thanks ST and lotus and lancer, I will update if change occours.

mfp4073
02/02/2008, 07:59 PM
could it be just that you are messing with it too much? Change from the store, change of location, etc etc?

chef.lewis
02/03/2008, 12:33 AM
yeah... I suppose so, but it was in the same spot for a week and it only shrunk a little.
It still wouldn't budge so then I took action in hopes to try and save it.
I don't think this would stress it too much if the other things are right, but I don't know.

stingythingy45
02/03/2008, 09:07 AM
Stress it?lol
I took mine right from the bag.
Patted it dry with a paper towel.
Super glued the mat on a shell.
And set it on the sand bed.
It was open and thriving in 12 hrs.
One thing you might look for is an aptasia stinging it.
Sometimes they hide inside the mat.Or if a PH is moving it around(unstable).

KyleP
02/03/2008, 12:17 PM
I used to have a bunch of green star polyp. Sometimes a colony of it would close up for a few days and not come out. At the same time all the other colonies of the same green star polyp would be doing fine. I always put the closed colony in front of a powerhead, about 3 to 4 inches away from it. They always came out in about a day or two. I have no idea why they close up, but the current always did the trick to bring them back out.

chef.lewis
02/03/2008, 11:33 PM
Thank you guys for the input! I've got my eye on them.