PDA

View Full Version : I need help guys

SoCaliMikeEe
02/01/2008, 09:08 PM
I have been struggling to get my sps,lps,rose tank back together...its been more then a half year now since the downfall of my reef..things having been dying super slow..but it seems like its one after the other...It started with my sps, and have moved onto one of my enchino and a few rics. My sps has some polyp extension, but the color is fading.
-Ive been doing weekly water changes, with nsw and mix, no help.
-Test my water on a weekly basis, stable. Even bought new kits to double check.

So this is my conclusion so far. It definitely is not any type of sps predator because one of my 6inch alien eye bit the dust..
a few orange rics looking like crap also..
Could it be metal? I have not bought any type of metal remover for my tank. If there was metal, wouldn't my inverts like shrimps and snails be dead instead of thriving?
Another thing is that my macroalgae has not grow in half a year.
Could my tank be deprived of nutrients which would cause everything to crap out?
My skimmer barely skims and it usually takes a month to fill the whole cup..and its set on wet skim also.
Its not stray voltage because I tested it with a voltage meter.

Thanks guys

DawnOctopus
02/01/2008, 09:17 PM
Just out of curiousity how long since you got new bulbs? Even if your lights aren't burned out they could have lost a lot of their power without you noticing. That would explain why the corals are dying and the inverts thriving. Just a suggestion :)

Anemone
02/01/2008, 09:24 PM
Tell us about your tank.

And BTW, do you have a deep sand bed?

Kevin

Mavrk
02/01/2008, 10:11 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11743441#post11743441 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by DawnOctopus
Just out of curiousity how long since you got new bulbs? Even if your lights aren't burned out they could have lost a lot of their power without you noticing. That would explain why the corals are dying and the inverts thriving. Just a suggestion :)

Yeah, that's a good question. Lights shift spectrum over time. What kind of lighting are you using?

Mavrk
02/01/2008, 10:11 PM
sorry double post

SoCaliMikeEe
02/01/2008, 11:10 PM
Sorry Guys, heres my edit version that explains things a lot better.

its been more then a half year now since the downfall of my reef..things having been dying super slow..coral seems to dye one after the other...usually taking several weeks before losing all its flesh..Other sps have polyp extensions, but it has not grown one bit over this past year.
My tank crash started in the summer of 07 and it started with all my torts except my oregon pealing from the tips. I blame my alk swing because of my unstable calcium reactor. Once that was fixed, water conditions were stable. Next to go were all my montis besides my grape monti,sunset, and data. Out of 60+ sps frags, I have a handful left. Right now, my data and sunset and a few other sps, which showed great polyp extension and color during the crash, is now losing its color but still have slight polyp extensions. I have done everything I could, even a 90% water change at one point. I had a bad case of cotton pink algae which a few mexican snails took care off. Im also battling with asteria stars right now.

What I have done in the past 6 months
-changed my 10k to 14k phoenix, no change
-emptied my Koralin reactor, and refilled it.
-constant water changes with tm salt mix, nsw, all aerated for several days before
-Test my water on a weekly basis, stable. Even bought new kits to double check.
cal:430
alk 8.8
mag:230 use to be at 330
salinity: 1.024
-pulled my phosban, no difference.

I dont believe it is any type of sps predator because a few of my softies are not looking great either. Including a few zoos, one of my 6inch alien eye is now 90% lost and a few orange rics looking like crap also..On the other hand, I have more zoos,rics, and chalice looking great and growing.
Could it be metal? I have not bought any type of metal remover for my tank. If there was metal, wouldn't my inverts like shrimps and snails be dead instead of thriving?
Another thing is that my macroalgae has not grow in half a year.
Could my tank be deprived of nutrients which would cause everything to crap out? I do have a lot of fish in my 10 and feed once daily.
My skimmer barely skims and it usually takes a month to fill the whole cup..and its set on wet skim also.
Its not stray voltage because I tested it with a voltage meter.
What can it be?

bulbs are about 4 months old. This started happen before the switch where I was running 10ks before.

erendon
02/03/2008, 09:09 AM
Were are you getting your water from? Is it well or city. Do you use R/O, DI? Did you add anything new before the slow crash? Heve you tried any carbon? Do you use any water addetives? What other aquipment do you have? DSB or SSB or BB? Do use a sump with bio balls? and so on?

erendon
02/03/2008, 09:12 AM
What kind of cleaning regiment doyou have (pumps, skimmer Etc.)?
How long have you had your tank? Tell us about what else is stocked in it.