PDA

View Full Version : Gap between tank and stand???

Scuba_Steve
02/01/2008, 10:49 PM
I noticed there is about a 1/16th inch gap between the center edge of the tank and my stand. I placed down a 1/2 inch sheet of foam. I think Ive heard that a glass tank is supported by the 2 outside edges, but this was an extra precaution. Is this going to be ok? BTW the tank is a 120g AGA.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q71/andreapearson/DSC_0136.jpg

db_triggerfish
02/01/2008, 11:24 PM
I really can't help, but God bless your precious daughter and thanks for serving our great country.

Dubbin1
02/02/2008, 11:00 AM
I don't think I would worry about that small gap but I would remove the foam. It "could" put extra stress on the glass (not a good thing).

PrangeWay
02/02/2008, 11:41 AM
Yeah my AGA b4 it was filled had a gap between the stand and tank. Since both where brand new in the box, and I have never heard of a problem with an AGA tank/stand combo I let it be. Sure enough once it was filled, no gaps. Think they pre-stress the plastic trim (which actually is a structural member not just there to look bad).

PW

CJBDFRAZ
02/02/2008, 11:41 AM
I would definitely at least put some shims under there, and maybe replace the brace in the center of the stand. I would not count on the outside edges support all the weight.

WarrenG
02/02/2008, 11:53 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11746729#post11746729 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Dubbin1
I don't think I would worry about that small gap but I would remove the foam. It "could" put extra stress on the glass (not a good thing).
The amount of stress on that glass will be near ONE psi (for an average 24" deep tank.)

Keep the foam.

See the recent thread about foam thickness under a tank for a loooong debate on this topic.

Either way, I suspect that when the tank is filled the gap will go away because of the weight/pressure applied to the tank's trim.

asm481
02/02/2008, 12:34 PM
Check AGA's warranty. It states no foam under the tank. None. If it is their stand you are golden. If you built the stand, you didn't get it square enough. Tanks with plastic trim wher the bottom glass is supported by that trim (AGA, Perfecto type) are not supposed to sit on foam. The point load of the trim on the edge of foam could sink and twist the tank. A flat bottom tank should be on foam to distribute weight.

rckrzy1
02/02/2008, 04:50 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11747285#post11747285 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by asm481
Check AGA's warranty. It states no foam under the tank. None. If it is their stand you are golden. If you built the stand, you didn't get it square enough. Tanks with plastic trim wher the bottom glass is supported by that trim (AGA, Perfecto type) are not supposed to sit on foam. The point load of the trim on the edge of foam could sink and twist the tank. A flat bottom tank should be on foam to distribute weight.

I'm 90% sure it's not an AGA stand. They don't make any thing that nice.

WarrenG
02/02/2008, 07:58 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11747285#post11747285 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by asm481
The point load of the trim on the edge of foam could sink and twist the tank.

The load on any one section of the trim is the same as any other section (unless you have a dramatic difference in weighting within the tank), so how could the styrofoam sink more in one place than another?