PDA

View Full Version : Need some help on a 500g+ reef I am going to start...

FuzzyZipperbaum
02/02/2008, 10:04 AM
I am going to be starting a large reef tank in the next 60 days. I am in the planning stages at this time. I am going to describe my set up and invite ALL comments in hopes that I can be better educated and am always looking for a better way to do things.

Basic setup: I am going to have either a 96x48x30 or a 108x48x30 tank. I am leaning towards acrylic because of both cost and weight.

The tank will be located on the 2nd floor. I am going to have to research/find a structural engineer for some advice as I would not want to come home and find my tank 1 floor below where it started! I do have the ability to brace from below on the first floor. I have no options for the tank to be on the 1st floor.

I plan on building an aquarium room on the first floor and pumping the water back up to the tank. I may have just motor for a closed loop system in the stand but I plan on building a stand that has functionality like a book shelf or something underneath...(anyone have pics or ideas?)

I am going to be cutting a large hole in between two rooms for the tank. The tank will be positioned approximately 20 inches into each room.

Room A has travertine marble tile, room B has wood. I am going to have to figure out what to do about a stand; wood, iron, leveling etc....

Room A's roof is 30 feet high so I can not use it to support lighting... Room B's is 10 foot... Being in between two rooms I am REALLY struggling how to light it or build a canopy that has access.

The tank will be viewable from all 4 sides... I am trying to create something that you can just get lost in.... for those that have a viewable aquarium from both long sides...do you lose that feeling because you see through the tank to another room?

I would have the ability to tie an air condition vent directly into a hood (if I can figure out how to do one). This would help greatly with heat but I worry about contaminates.

Lighting: Truly my weak point....suggestions taking into account my problem above...

Equipment: Not concentrating on this just yet but it will have large sump, bad a$$ protein skimmer, Calc reactor, frag tank, etc... as automated as possible...

I am logging every picture I can find of a big reef, aquarium room and stand. If anyone has a folder or a place to go for more pictures, please let me know!

any thoughts or input is appreciated...

cbui2
02/02/2008, 01:19 PM
click on the red house to see my build, i have step by step what i did on my 600gal.

FuzzyZipperbaum
02/03/2008, 08:30 AM
Wow... I have spent close to 4 hours reading that thread and I am still not done!

If you don't mind I am going to contact you at some point as I have some questions...especially on the hood which I am still having design problems with...

By the way... Looking for a 2 month vacation to Tampa anytime soon????:D

cbui2
02/03/2008, 12:36 PM
thanks, 3 months it took me to build, all the other fine tunning are done next 6 months. you can always pm and i'll tried my best to help you.

cbui2
02/03/2008, 12:39 PM
you can ask the moderator to moved this to large reef tanks forum where they have more guys there that can help you too.