PDA

View Full Version : sand for DSB

BobCReef
02/02/2008, 04:01 PM
Re-setting up a 120 gal. Last setup i used South Down for a DSB. Any suggestions as to the best sand to use now. Will be in a 100 gal fuge. Figure i need at least 150 lbs

BobCReef
02/02/2008, 09:14 PM
anyone?

gman0526
02/02/2008, 09:37 PM
Sothdown is still good for what you want. Did you have any bad experience using it previously?

I've seen some people using sandblasting sand too.

BobCReef
02/02/2008, 09:42 PM
couldn't find it at the local Home Depot
Had heard they were out of business. Maybe i just need to look in another store?

fatboyjoe
02/02/2008, 09:57 PM
I have southdown in my 90 gal. I think it's too fine. It blows around too easy. makes a mess.I think I'm going to put a layer of come coarser sand on top and see if that helps. you might consider doing a say 75/25 mix yourself if you find some southdown.

Dubbin1
02/02/2008, 11:12 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11750649#post11750649 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by BobCReef
Maybe i just need to look in another store?

Don't bother, you wont find it.

BobCReef
02/03/2008, 09:08 AM
Dubbin; So what can i use in place of the southdown?

Fatboyjoe; This is for a separate 100gal fuge in the basement. Never had an issue with it before. In the display was a different issue. i had planed on using something just a bit more course there.

Dubbin1
02/03/2008, 09:14 AM
Just about any play sand will work or you could spend the big bucks for the stuff at the LFS.

datablitz
02/03/2008, 09:14 AM
how come you want to put a dsb in your tank?

bryan ayo
02/03/2008, 11:41 AM
South downs is now Old Castle ...here is there web site http://www.oldcastlecementmixes.com/products2.htm

BobCReef
02/03/2008, 01:09 PM
I don't like the look of a bare bottom tank. The dislay will only have a couple inches. The DSB will only be in the fuge.

Is the Old castle the sand aragonite sand or is it silica?

datablitz
02/03/2008, 03:31 PM
do you think the dsb in the fuge is worth the risk to the tank? so many tanks do badly because of the sand bed in them. so risky...

BobCReef
02/03/2008, 07:31 PM
What do you mean. Who has had problems with a DSB in the fuge. Or are you opposed to DSB's in general

Robb in Austin
02/03/2008, 08:09 PM
You could also try Quickrete's Commerical Grade Medium sand, it's in a tan bag with green around the logo. I've only found it at Lowe's.

Robb

datablitz
02/03/2008, 09:38 PM
i have seen tanks that can keep coral alive and tanks that have horrible algae problems all caused by nutrients stuck in the sand bed. the problems get even worse if it gets disturbed. i have never seen a tank do well with a dsb in the tank or anywhere on the system for a long period of time without some soft of band-aid like a phos ban reactor or some similar unneccessary device

revclyburn
02/04/2008, 11:29 AM
Hey Bob

Did you check out the Old Castle site? I though Old Castle was sold to another company. Looks like the natural play sand might be ok. Also,
I love DSB be they in a tank or remote. I think they help in many positive ways. Yeah, the can become nitrate factories, but ask most hobbyist that have them and they will still say they prefer having a dsb. Of course you will have the nay sayers, but you do what you feel is best for you. Let the nay sayers rant.

rev

hubris007
02/09/2008, 09:57 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11757729#post11757729 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by datablitz
i have never seen a tank do well with a dsb in the tank or anywhere on the system for a long period of time without some soft of band-aid like a phos ban reactor or some similar unneccessary device

I run a 200 gal system with macro nutrient export, a skimmer, and 8 inch bed in both tanks. Going strong for 1.5 years now.
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y177/hubris007/fish/2-6-08/112-1273_IMG.jpg

This is my growth in 1 year.
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y177/hubris007/fish/110-1081_IMG.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y177/hubris007/fish/112-1267_IMG.jpg
Now you've at least seen one.

K' Family Reef
02/09/2008, 10:40 AM
encourage the dsb also!

have one in both 125 display and 50gal display fuge
(210gal system) wasnt necessary to have in both but chose to anyway...

contrary to shimek and others (authors)
went w/ calfos recom of using 'reef floor' sand... which is a mix grain (dont know the exact 'size') and is anything but fine... was also the recom of a lfs which is probably one of the best in western US (have an over 1000 gal display reef system)

my nitrates have always been zero
and have considered myself lucky in this regard... hearing so many others talk about having high nitrates... seems my system is a nitrate reducing factory... (do also have over 200# of LR)

are some things to be sure to take into consideration
once the tank gets established and has been running awhile should never disturb the dsb bec can release 'toxins' back into the water column...

we are in process of upgrading to larger system
but will not have a dsb in the main display but instead about 2" to allow gravel vac'ing... and will have the dsb in the fuge only... this way over time maintenance can be done on the sandbed in the display (vac'ing out the detritus etc) w/out the worry of stirring up toxins... by doing this it allows at some point down the line to completely replace the DSB in the fuge and will leave the main display undisturbed!... and thus allowing continual maintanance and replenishment of the sand in the DT at same time.

good luck !

regards

BobCReef
02/09/2008, 04:30 PM
That is my plan. An inch or two in the display. In the basement i have a 100gal sump and 100 gal fude. DSB will be in the fuge which i can isolate should i need to do maintenance on it.
just wasn't sure on what sand to use.

K' Family Reef
02/09/2008, 04:39 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11805587#post11805587 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by BobCReef
That is my plan. An inch or two in the display. In the basement i have a 100gal sump and 100 gal fude. DSB will be in the fuge which i can isolate should i need to do maintenance on it.
just wasn't sure on what sand to use.

there might be some question about best sand to use
or best 'grain' size... shimek recoms real fine sand - calfo on the other hand recoms a mix like 'REEF FLOOR' grade sand (a mix of different smaller grain sizes - and avail at lfs)...

the reef floor is what i used
and although i do have about 200# of LR in this system also... its a nitrate reducing factory... and based on that fact alone - i will continue to use this grain size... as well as recom it to others...

many are as determined to say the finer grains are required

might do a search and research it further to decide what you want to do...

i feel that was lucky in the choice i made
in this regard as i have never had to deal w/ nitrate issues whatsoever... this is a 210gal system w/ 125dt and 50gal display fuge - dsb in both dt/fuge.

good luck!

regards

hubris007
02/09/2008, 05:09 PM
I got the vast majority of my sand from Inland aquatics. They sell bulk oolytic sand there cheap. Perhaps you have someplace like that near you?