PDA

View Full Version : which fish first in tank

billford
02/02/2008, 06:18 PM
hi guys i want to blue chromis yellow headed jawfish and atlanticblue tang in my tank eventually which fish should i introduce first i thought chromis first since most hardy but LFS say jawfish like time to settle in before tank mates tang is last what do you suggest

BLKTANG
02/02/2008, 07:25 PM
I agree with your LFS.Jaw,cromies,& tang.

jawfish1
02/03/2008, 04:47 AM
I've had plenty of jaws in my day, and as a matter of fact for a first for me, I just started a brand new 60g SPS tank and the very first fish I added, were a pair of yellow-headed jawfish! Normally I do the usual clown or other damsel fish first, but I thought I would try to put my jawfish in first. So far so good, but it's only been a week so we'll see.

In my opinion, they are pretty hardy fish as long as you get them to eat. To me that's really the hardest part, becides getting themselves into dangerous places and getting crushed. In this tank I have put together the perfect scenrio for my jawfish with grogeous flat rocks (thanks to Marco rocks) and some nice pvc pipework to stabalize it.

These two I just got are a younger pair. Very nice colors and very lively so far. The one seems to have little fear, even for a jawfish. I came out tonight to do my nightly watching and found him out of his burrow just swimming about, clear over on the other side of the tank! At first I thought it was the other jawfish, which her burrow is on that side, but imagine my surprise (and hers too) when I tried to herd him into the whole that turned out to not be his! That was an interesting learning experience :)

Well, these little fish continue to amaze me. Hope you enjoy yours as much as I do all of mine.

Cheers!

Tennyson
02/03/2008, 08:32 AM
I agree with BLKTANG, the chromises would be the last to the second last to introduce, and the jawfish first. If you get a chromis first, it willbecome territorial and there might not be enough space for fish coming in later, unless its a big tank.