PDA

View Full Version : Drill bottom of Oceanic tank

etrigo29
02/03/2008, 12:54 AM
I want to do this to avoid having to put tunze streams in the tank. I already have a vortech pump, but I want to drill the bottom of the tank for a closed loop system. I was thinking of using a reeflo dart pump. I guess my question is, would my tank still be structurly sound if I put 3-5 holes in it? The bottom of the oceanic tank is 3/4"

thanks in advance

Paulairduck
02/03/2008, 01:51 AM
Most bottoms of tanks a tempered. I would contact Oceanic and see if the model of your tank has a tempered bottom.If it is dont drill it.

celano
02/03/2008, 01:55 AM
I agree with Paul. A lot of tank manufactures use tempered glass on the bottom for added strength. Don't try drilling tempered glass....it always ends up bad.

cbrguy
02/03/2008, 06:59 AM
Their website says that the bottom is not tempered on the Ultimate and the tech series.

http://www.oceanicsystems.com/products/ultimate.php

etrigo29
02/03/2008, 10:23 AM
I should have mentioned it wasn't tempered, so thank you cbrguy for showing them the link. So does anyone have suggestions? I'm jsut worried about the strength of the bottom pane, but don't the sides carry the most pressure?

If your wondering why not just drill in the bank, the reason is because I don't want plumbing to show...I know stupid but its me

compulsivebasta
02/04/2008, 08:58 PM
If you are installing an overflow box, you could drill on the side and your plumbing is still covered.