PDA

View Full Version : Painting a ReefReady Overflow w/ Krylon Fusion

RobSW1
02/03/2008, 05:05 AM
I recently aquired a 90RR tank, but it has some unsightly coraline which has been near impossible to get off. i have tried every trick in the book, and nothing has worked.
I was wondering whether it would be safe to just repaint it w/ black krylon fusion spray paint? does anyone think it peel or pose any threat to livestock? The tank will be filled about 2 wks. after the painting process.

just wondering and wanting opinions
thanks
rob

reelbadfish
02/03/2008, 06:35 AM
It would probably be a futile effort. It's supposed to bond to plastic but I painted my PVC standpipe black with fusion and 3 months later it was white again. My suggestion would be to fill the tank and let the dead coralline dissolve off. It only takes about a week.

ManotheSea
02/03/2008, 07:25 AM
Did you try using vinegar on it? That cuts calcium real good.

You can also fill the tank as is and make sure your calc, alk and pH are correct from the start. This will promote new coraline growth to cover the old. Try using Kalkwasser in your topoff.

Or you can build a high rock wall to cover it. Or use the foam that many other members have used to make faux rock on their back glass. Do a search.

Paint? I think thats asking for trouble. Water is one of the most corrosive forces on Earth. Salt is another. If a product is not designed to withstand the corrosive nature of saltwater it probably wont last long.

Dubbin1
02/03/2008, 07:54 AM
I wouldn't even bother trying to clean it off since its going to be covered in new coralline in no time flat.

bryan ayo
02/03/2008, 08:22 AM
i would NOT paint th inside of your tank...it wiil peal!!!!!just use a razer to scrape the off the old coralne ...

RobSW1
02/03/2008, 11:08 AM
yeah i have tried using a razorblade, rough brillo pad, and vinegar on this.........it just wont come off the ABS overflow. i guess i will just leave it and let it get covered with new coraline.

thanks
Rob