PDA

View Full Version : Super sunday Epoxy tip.

toothman
02/03/2008, 07:56 AM
There are two brands of epoxy readily available. Two little fishies (the grey one) and Aquarium systems hold fast epoxy (the green one).

I have personally used about 10 sticks of each to mount just coral not rock.

I have found that the two little fishies brand or grey epoxy really makes the skimmer go nuts, to the point that the collection cup needs to be removed for 2 or 3 days.

The Hold fast mixes to a bright white color that will eventually be encrusted but can be very noticeable for a wile. They both have the same texture. They both have the same bonding ability. The hold fast brand does not make the skimmer go nuts. This is a big difference!! It is also cheaper in general.

Another tip is to microwave the putty prior to mixing, it makes it soft and easy to mix. It also makes it set a lot quicker. In my microwave I set it for 20 secs for half a stick. You want it softened not melted.

I also only allow frags or colonies to dry in the water as epoxy does heat when curing. I think the water allows most of the heat to dissipate into the water vs. the frag.

By the way any mounting is a Maddening process. They like to fall off. I do think epoxy works better than super glue in the long run. I have found that super glue works well but may fall off in a week. It does not make it any easier with a resident bulldozer, clown fish and nocturnal wrecking machines called turbo snails.

Hope my experience may help.

Pescado Racing
02/03/2008, 08:03 AM
deltec has a purple coraline colored epoxy. Holds great and it's not "paper white".

Wrench
02/03/2008, 08:13 AM
Hold Fast is identical to Aquamend from Home Depot for $2.50. I like to mix it up and let it sit for 10 minutes. After it's partially set up it is easier to mount the corals, especially larger pieces.

toothman
02/03/2008, 08:31 AM
Got to like the price. I have heard of many people getting epoxy from HD. I was just a little afraid at this point to risk any new products into the tank. Especially after watching my bubble king spit out mounds of bubbles with the two little fishies epoxy. I do use: Mag flakes from HD., Arm and hammer baked baking soda, Dow CaCl flakes ( seems to possibly be a issue with a new bag however with?? bromide in it now)

Thanks for the tip!!

reefrick.M
02/03/2008, 09:16 AM
I use either Aquamend (white) or Plummers Putty (Grey) from HD neither of which will stay that color for long. They are both very inexpensive and do the trick. The secret is to put a little Super Glue Gell on the top part of the putty and attach the plug. Then put a little on the bottom of the putty that is to be attached to the rock. Sticks a whole lot better with the combination.

PSam
02/03/2008, 02:18 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11752818#post11752818 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Pescado Racing
deltec has a purple coraline colored epoxy. Holds great and it's not "paper white".

great stuff.

Waxxiemann
02/03/2008, 02:30 PM
I totally agree, the Deltec stuff is wonderful.

tbone28
02/03/2008, 06:11 PM
Does the Deltec stuff make the skimmer go nuts?

manderx
02/04/2008, 08:58 AM
use a small piece of live rock as a 'stamp' to give the epoxy some texture before it sets.

PSam
02/04/2008, 10:39 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11756511#post11756511 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tbone28
Does the Deltec stuff make the skimmer go nuts?

Yep. I put an extra bit of fresh carbon in and shut the skimmer off when I use it.

tbone28
02/04/2008, 10:43 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11760526#post11760526 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by PSam
Yep. I put an extra bit of fresh carbon in and shut the skimmer off when I use it.

That sucks. So the advantage of the Deltec stuff is its color?

Fraggle Rock2
02/04/2008, 07:48 PM
Personally I think they are all terrible! I have used Two little fishies, Deltec (D&D) and Marineland. However, I don't think there is much choice anyway :P. The D&D sets much quicker (I think it's this one) so that has worked to my advantage and disadvantage at times.

The only way I get them to work is to use cyanoacrylate glue on both sides of the epoxy. Even then it doesn't always work out. Of course, what I am trying to attach and where plays a large role in success.

PSam
02/04/2008, 09:27 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11760554#post11760554 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tbone28
That sucks. So the advantage of the Deltec stuff is its color?

No, the advantage is that it works very well. Pliable, sets fairly quickly, and strong. and if you need to remove later, it isn't that difficult

toothman
02/05/2008, 04:31 PM
I went to home depot today and looked for the epoxy. It seems that the green type is available in 1/2 size tubes, 4 inches for $ 2.95. I was paying $8.00 at the pet store for 8 inches . So it is a savings of $2. I do not think it is worth it for me to try a new product in my reef tank.